Help Iding Old Wooden Canoe

Kanahoma

I'm cleaning out the barn after my grandmother's passing and wondering about her old wood and canvas canoe. The story I was told is that it was originally purchased by my great-great-grandfather in 1915, I'm not sure if he bought it new or used. Was fiberglassed over in the 50s :eek:. I'm just trying to identify what it is and you all seem like the most knowledgeable group on the internet!

There's no logo or manufacturer name visible anywhere. I did as much research as I could, mostly using these forum posts. Based on the serial number plate and the style of the deck, I'm guessing might be either a Veazie or BN Morris, more likely a Veazie? But I really have no idea and would love any insight you could share. Thank you!

BN Morris canoe. Probably Model A, type 3. Floor boards not original. Too bad it was fiberglassed. At one time that was a nice canoe (before 'glass). Center thwart appears to be missing...very early number.

The glass can be removed. It's an awful job and not worth the effort for most makers boats but it could worth doing on a nice Morris... Having said that' I've walked away from several simply because I've had my fill of glass removal and there seem to be plenty of Morris canoes available that don't need that repair.
What is very interesting to me is the comment about the purchase date. When I constructed the Morris dating table it was with the barest of verifiable information to work from. If your family has records of purchase from 1915 and if we can learn what that missing digit is then this canoe could be a literal Rosetta stone. Do you have actual documentation of the purchase date or is it anecdotal?

Thank you both so much for the info! Nice to know what it is. Unfortunately the story of its acquisition is purely anecdotal - I don't have documentation, and don't know if he bought it new or second-hand. But I'm coming across lots of paperwork in my clean-out so I'll post if I find anything relevant.

In your opinions is this boat just trash in its current state? I don't have the skill to try to de-glass and refurbish it, but would be happy to donate it to someone who does. If you think it could be worthwhile I'll invest some effort in posting it around and see if I can find any one interested.

Actually this is far from trash...it's a desirable boat and on closer inspection of your tag photo, the tag number is a very low one so the boat appears to be quite old, pre-1910. It is also a long deck boat in seemingly good shape except for the glass so it is definitely worth the effort to restore. And it is an effort.
If you post the boat for free here on this site in the classifieds you will have folks tripping over themselves to get it..depending upon where you are located. They will possibly take and restore it or more likely, flip it...sell it along for a small profit. My advice to you is to offer it for a fair price, say $300 or $400 dollars and let someone that wants to restore it have it...cut out the middleman. They will either restore it themselves or have someone do it for them.. Restoration can cost up to $300 per foot so the right person will need to come along for you.
Or you can just give it to me....although I recall telling my wife just yesterday that I will never ever ever remove glass again, ever...:eek:

Geez... I just noticed that you're located about 45 minutes south of me - and about 90 minutes from Mike (MGC)! My experience with fiberglass hasn't been as bad as Mikes - I'd love to 'take it off your hands'. I'll contact you privately...

So here's an interesting addendum...this is the (very faded) Morris decal from the coaming.
What I find striking is the place of manufacture, Bangor....... and the branding is Canoe Co....
This seems to stray from the typical Morris long deck coaming decal. Note that it reads manufacturer, not builder. The SN tag is indeed sn 320...so a very old tag that may be possible to research from journals that were kept by the owner of the canoe and passed on through the family...more on that as it becomes available.
Comments will be appreciated.
IMG_2703 (2).JPG

Or is this a long decked Veazie with such a low number and if so, why Bangor???

The Veazie Canoe Co. catalog lists Bangor as its location.

My recollection is that Veazie branded canoes were numbered independently from the Morris branded canoes.

Here's different shot that makes it a bit easier to convince yourself that the name is Veazie Canoe Co, Manufacturer Bangor.
It doesn't exactly jump out but if you stare at it long enough the letter spacing and shapes start to appear...if you are holding your head and tongue exactly right.
IMG_2700 (2).JPG

MGC said:
, post: 79584, member: 79"t but if you stare at it long enough the letter spacing and shapes start to appear...if you are holding your head and tongue exactly right.

Don't forget to squint and tug on an earlobe too. Doing that, I can make out the Veazie part.

Last edited:
Back