Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Help identifying canoe

Discussion in 'Traditional All-Wood Construction' started by fred capenos, Nov 18, 2009.

1. fred capenos

fred capenos Canoe Pilot

Can anyone help us identify this boat.....there are no markings thanks Fred

Attached Files:

2. Dan Miller

Dan Miller cranky canoeist Staff Member

Sure looks Rushton-y. Probably 1890s. Dimensions and a better shot of the stem profile would help.

Dan

3. OP
    OP
    fred capenos

fred capenos Canoe Pilot

A few more shots

Here are a few more shots...hope they help. Thanks

Attached Files:

4. Mark Adams

Mark Adams all wood nut

Those decks look very similar to a Rushton that Michael Grace has. Hopefully he'll pipe up. I'd say Rushton too, but I know so very little....

5. Michael Grace

Michael Grace Lifetime Member

Yes, Fred, it does appear to be a Rushton. Many features match Rusthon- the stembands and the painter ring, ribs, the strip-built decks, the kingplanks, the floorboard shape, the buttons holding down the fllorboards, and even he blocks to which the buttons are attached- the little beading along their edges is characteristic of Rushton.

Measurements would allow a likely ID as to model. It looks like one of the very small models. It's in rough shape, but it could certainly be restored.

Michael

6. OP
    OP
    fred capenos

fred capenos Canoe Pilot

Thank you everyone for your comments. We might be able to get measurements at a later date. Not only did we locate the boat shown above, the owner has another canoe hanging in the same cafe that he thought was an Old Town. We reconized the decks and the 6" shear plank and had to look inside for the marks. Of coourse we found the number and Rushton logo (with "Inc."), but no reference to "Indian Girl". Here's a few shots of that canoe. Any thoughts? BTW, the seats have been relocated but we can see the shadow and screw holes where the bow seat belongs. Fred

Attached Files:

7. Dan Miller

Dan Miller cranky canoeist Staff Member

Looks like a late model open gunwale IG. Someone removed the long decks. What is the serial number?

8. OP
    OP
    fred capenos

fred capenos Canoe Pilot

Open gunwales for sure. The short decks look to be Rushton to me . They are chiseled underneath and fit very well. There are no IG markings on the thwarts and the thwarts look original. Heres the number.

Fred

Attached Files:

9. MGC

MGC Scrapmaker

As Dan points out, this was a canoe with long decks. IG's with long decks had unfinished short decks installed under the long decks.
    I can provide some photo's of the long deck parts if someone needs them. I am still planning to take some measurements (seat/thwart position) next week and I could take some pictures of this then.

10. OP
    OP
    fred capenos

fred capenos Canoe Pilot

Now it's starting to make sense. That's why there's no holes for the painter ring and that's what the frames are for. Thank you sir and thank you Dan.
    Fred

11. MGC

MGC Scrapmaker

Fred,

As promised, here is a picture of an IG with the long deck in place and one without. Sorry about the photo quality. Twas a bit dark up in the rafters.

Attached Files: