HELP! Building and fixing seats in a canoe

marikatech

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hi,

I have a query about the best way to fix seats in my tandem canoe. I see no way currently to do this, as the hull does not seem strong enough to be able to fix anything to it. can anyone provide me with answers/advice, and links to any images to show how this is usually achieved please?

SEE HERE for photos of what I mean, see the 'cockpit' photos especially) if u dont see some images, refresh the browser! http://www.potentialtechnology.com/project/canoe.htm

BTW: I have a thread going in another section of this forum, so please dont think Im cross posting, but I think I may have joined the wrong section.

Previous thread is here: http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?t=1494

Your seats look a lot like the seats that people install in the Mill Creek kayak made by Chesapeake Light Craft. CLC has a good web sight with a forum. It is at www.clcboats.com. You might want to ask over there how people fasten the seat in the Mill Creek kayak.

I've built two stitch-and-glue kayaks. My seats in those boats are made of closed cell foam attached to the hull (which is 4 mm marine plywood reinforced by fiberglass set in epoxy) with velcro strips that are glued to the hull and the seat. If you didn't want to use the wooden seats you have now, you could do that. Good luck.

Thanks for replying!

yes you had some good advice, and I did now post at: www.clcboats.com so I shall wait and see what happens further.

The thing that baffles me, is that this canoe of mine 'must' have had "some sort" of seating, but no drill holes or anything indicate how the seats were fastened or fixed, and as I said, the hull is currently flimsy. Do you think that when Ive totally fiberglassed the hull, from the outseide, that it would take my 100 kilo weight if I simply used a thick cushion?

You said: "My seats in those boats are made of closed cell foam attached to the hull (which is 4 mm marine plywood reinforced by fiberglass set in epoxy) with velcro strips that are glued to the hull and the seat.

Ok this seems similar to what I plan, but next question is...is yours fiberglassed both inside and out? Or just outside?

Cheers
Nathan

My kayaks are 'glassed both inside and outside the hull in the cockpit area. (The hull forward and aft of the cockpit is glassed only on the outside.)

Back