Hello From Nw Ohio

Mike Daugherty

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I am building my first canoe, a 15’ Ranger. It is progressing slowly, but surely. My biggest issue is access to WRC of any quality and length. I may have to try spruce or redwood.

Try L.L. Johnson Lumber in Charlotte,MI or Fingerele Lumber in Ann Arbor. Expect to pay over $10 a bd. ft.

I was telling an Amish sawyer that I buy wood from about canoes and what woods I was after. He sent me a note that he had acquired some 100 ? year old 32' long utility poles, Western red cedar. I went and helped him saw them up so that I could select out the clear sections that were suitable for planking, The rest he sawed up for building and furniture.The length is 16' but it is flat sawn instead of quarter sawn, which some prefer. Take a look at how tight these growth rings are.
. IMG_0861.jpg
Anyway it might be a suggestion if any knows a sawyer to ask them to keep an eye out for something like that. I don't imagine most bigger operations would risk sawing them though. Next time I see him ( no phone and 40 miles away) I'll see if he can come up with any more. I might be able to spare enough for one canoe.

Back