Harbor Fest 2016, Marquette Michigan

Kathryn Klos

squirrel whisperer
A week after the U.P. Chapter hosted the Upper Great Lakes Regional Assembly in a non-stop rain, we had dandy weather for Harbor Fest. Nine canoes sat in the shadow of a 17th century Spanish galleon, but were none-the-less appreciated by many, including some of the galleon's crew.

Although we had a good time at the Regional Assembly, what we missed were the dozens of "teachable moments" that happen when the public turns out.

Interestingly, of the nine canoes present for our Harbor Fest event, five were B.N. Morris and two had splayed stems like a Morris (one, my Kennebec reproduction that was based on a Morris-Kennebec "hybrid" and the other a Rhinelander).

Next year we may have more canoes at this event, as the fellow in charge apparently noticed how popular our stuff was... so we may get a larger display area.

Kathy

Attachments

• DSCN3157.jpg
    DSCN3157.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 488
  • DSCN3162.jpg
    DSCN3162.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 474
  • DSCN3167.jpg
    DSCN3167.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 476
  • DSCN3171.jpg
    DSCN3171.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 476
  • DSCN3174.jpg
    DSCN3174.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 469
  • DSCN3177.jpg
    DSCN3177.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 470
Hi Kathy

Thanks for the post and for the great photos! It's great that you and the others took the time to share our passions with the public. The tiny canoe under the sailing ship's bow is amazing for scale! And "Please leave canoe trailer alone" - too funny... I wonder if there's a back story there. My favorite, though, is the one showing the fellow in the hat and suspenders - he probably had some wonderful tales to tell. My favorite parts of participating in public displays like this is meeting and talking with people who have generations of stories about their days on the water fantastic places, using all kinds of canoes new that we covet today as antiques. Thanks for sharing.

Michael

Nice pictures, Kathy. But what on earth is a Spanish galleon doing up in the Great Lakes? Was there a tornado that blew in from the Gulf area sometime way back when? Al D

The galleon is part of the 2016 Tall Ships Festival. This year, three of the tall ships blew in for Marquette's annual Harbor Fest. The contrast with our canoes sure makes for some interesting pictures!

The real shame here is that the Norwegian long ship, the Drakken Harald had to pull out. They were being charged $400/hour pilot fee as they were not a US registered vessel. An incredible ship, 115 long, 80 ft mast with single main sail. I have pics from when it was docked in South Haven. I will post if folks are interested. Spent 2 afternoons just sitting, taking pics and talking to the kids that were on the crew. Came across the North Atlantic in early May, through icebergs and all. Just search Drakken Harald and you will get there. Really incredible pics of their journey. Go visit and sorry didn't mean to hijack Kathy's post.

It was a huge disappointment for me to learn the Draken Harald Hårfagre wouldn't be permitted to continue through all the Great Lakes as originally planned. Fred and I saw her in Green Bay after learning she wouldn't be able to continue on to Duluth and Marquette. I'll post pictures of the Draken in Green Bay and also of Fred, who wore his Draken tee shirt in her honor at Marquette's Harbor Fest (you weren't hijacking the thread after all, Jan!).

Attachments

• Me n Draken.jpg
    Me n Draken.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 441
  • DSCN2913.jpg
    DSCN2913.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 431
  • Fred in Draken tee.jpg
    Fred in Draken tee.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 438
Back