hanging around paddles hanging around

Rob Stevens

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
Yup, winter has set in. I didn't get a chance to paddle my newly made w/c canoe, but I made 3 new paddles -those hanging in this shot -one ottertail and two Avery (one each of white ash and black cherry).

While varnishing those, I also refinished 6 older ones, many of which have been used by a variety of outdoor ed. students on 9 day trips in Shield country, so were due. Some can be seen in this photo.

Attachments

• hanging paddles (Small).JPG
    hanging paddles (Small).JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 850
Do I understand correctly?

Let me get this straight in my head. There appears in the photo at least six canoe paddles, varnish can and rags, six nails in the ceiling with strings, airplane parts on the mantel, animal parts on the wall, and an unused exercise bike and barbell, all in what appears to be your living room. What a guy! Do you want the name of the divorce attorney that helped me out or do you think you can get your own? Good luck!

Jim C.

Actually, if you look closely, there are 12 paddles (including one from Norway and two from the Amazon), 3 sets of snowshoes and a stack (about 2 dozen) of unframed paintings.
Not to worry, this is all in the TV room/den. There's lots of other room in the house for Mary, our two daughters and two cats.
There haven't been any complaints so far. But then, I don't have a (finished or unfinished) canoe in the living room.

Rob

Getting something else straight

Can I assume you put those exquisite birdseye-maple paddles in the hands of outdoor-education students for nine days? What trust!

dboles said:
Avery as in snowshoe maker fame.?

Yes.

Avery & Sons Snowshoes
Po Box 339,
Whitney, ON, CA K0J 2M0
Telephone 613-637-2825

Whitney is at the eastern entrance of Algonquin Park, in Ontario, CANADA

garypete said:
Can I assume you put those exquisite birdseye-maple paddles in the hands of outdoor-education students for nine days? What trust!

Uh, no. Students used the black cherry and ash paddles.
The quilted maple one is my shorter length beavertail for messing around in marshes.

Back