Great Rivers(Il-WI) Chapter Restorers Workshop

Dave Osborn

LIFE MEMBER
FIRST ANNUAL
GREAT RIVERS CHAPTER - WCHA
RESTORERS BOATHOUSE
SYMPOSIUM

SATURDAY, MARCH 31ST, 2007

GREAT RIVERS CHAPTER MEMBERS PAUL AND CINDY MILLER WILL OPEN THE DOORS at 9:00 a.m. TO THEIR MASSIVE AND COMPREHENSIVE COLLECTION OF 18+ HISTORIC CANOES TO THOSE INTENT ON RESTORATION.
IT WILL BE A FULL DAY OF LEARNING, DISCUSSION, QUESTIONS, TECHNIQUES AND PROBABLY A SECRET OR TWO SHARED. THE DAYS AGENDA WILL LIKELY INCLUDE:

RIB REPLACEMENT (FROM THE INSIDE!!)
GUNWALES; CUTTING AND BENDING
STEM BAND APPLICATION TIPS
RIB TIP REPAIRS
DIAGNOSIS & SUGGESTED TREATMENT OF YOUR CANOE
“DINNER AND A MOVIE” (CANOEY FILMS LATER)

AND…..

….THE BOAT HOUSE TOUR! LEARN HOW TO IDENTIFY BY DETAILS MORRIS, OLD TOWN, RUSTON, VALINCOURT, MAX ANDERSON COLD MOLDED, DAN HERALD DOUBLE PLANK, WILLIAM ENGLISH WIDE BOARD, WILLITS, ETC.

WITHOUT MAKING A TRIP TO THE ADIRONDACK MUSEUM IN NY, IT WOULD BE HARD TO FIND THIS MANY CANOES IN ONE PLACE ! ! !

GOSH, OH NELLIE!! IT’S A LOT TO COVER IN ONE DAY!
NOT TO WORRY, THERE WILL BE PLENTYOF COMFORTS TO SUSTAIN YOU ! THE CHAPTER WILL ACCEPT YOUR FREE-WILL OFFERING FOR LUNCH WHICH WILL BE PROVIDED. A POT LUCK DINNER WILL SUSTAIN US. MILLERS HAVE ALSO EXTENDED THE HAND OF LODGING, SO IF YOU ARE DETERMINED TO CAPITALIZE ON YOUR WCHA CHEER, BRING YOUR COTS, SLEEPING BAGS, FOAM MATS, CAMPERS AND JAMMIES, AND LEAVE SUNDAY MORNING.

BRING: YOUR AILING OR RARE CANOE, CAMERA, NOTEPADS AND PENCILS, A PORTABLE CHAIR, A DISH TO PASS FOR DINNER AND A BOTTLE OR A 6 “PACK”.

PLEASE RSVP BY 3-24 TO MARGARET FISHER, WCHA PROGRAM CHAIR, 262- 675- 0140
OR
margknu@charter.net

please indicate if you are planning to overnight AND vaguely identify the species of dish you are going to pass (“main dish, salad, veggie side, soup”, etc).
We can’t all bring dessert ! !

0s645 Bunker Road
Elburn, IL 60119

Also keep your eyes peeled for the Great Rivers Chapter 2nd Annual Earth Day Rock River Paddle Outing on April 22.....Details coming soon!

Boathouse Symposium F A Q's

Q: "Is the lodging indoors?"
A: Yes, there are 8 bunk beds available at Millers and other space for cots, sleeping bags, etc.

Q: "Will there be door prizes?"
A: Yes, when you put a buck or two into the lunch free-will offering, you will receive a door prize ticket.

Q: "Will everyone win a prize?"
A: It depends on how many show up and how many prizes there are.

Q: "Can I donate a door prize?"
A: Of course.

Q: "Can I bring a non-member?"
A: Yes, but they have to do the dishes, open the beer bottles or join up.

Q: "Are WCHA members from outside the Great Rivers (formerly the WI & IL) Chapter Welcome?"
A: Yes, Flat-landers, hog-butchers, cheddarheads, porquipine shish-kabob eaters, aluminum duck boat paddlers, pond crossers, AND all manner of WCHA wannabee's are welcome.

Last edited:
Sure wish you guys were a bit closer to home, I'd sure love to see Paul's collection. (pics maybe)

And Dave??

Dan

Oh, come on.

You're not THAT far away! Remember, there is lodging there. Sure wish you'd take a leap and join us. What do you mean by "And Dave?" Splinter

Still room for a few more attendees!!!

We have a real nice group attending the Great Rivers Chapter First Restorers Boathouse Symposium from WI, IL and Missouri! The dinner is forming up into an Italian feast with plenty of interesting things to hydrate ourselves with. We would like to let others who are still thinking of attending on the 31st that we still have room for a few more (yes, Dan this means you!) so please RSVP with your name, phone number, species of dish you're passing, if you need to lodge with Millers, if you're brining a guest and where you hail from. Paul Miller has prepared his massive collection and fabulous storage and workshop facility to accomodate a nice size visiting group. Remember to bring your camera, portable chair, notebook etc. Can't wait to see everyone! R.S.V.P to Splinter through this site, private messageing my own email or phone margknu@charter.net or 262-675-0140.

Great Rivers(Il-WI) Chapter Website?

I talked to Splinter about the chapter website. Is it up? What is the link? Thank you.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm already in the "doghouse" and have to show some progress on the house before I can play.

Dan

How did everything go?

Hey everyone.

Just wondering how everything went on Saturday. Hopefully it didn't get rained out. Did anyone take pictures and will they post them anywhere.

Cheers

Great time had by all

The intermittent rain could not hold down the great spirits of the canoe nut attendees.

I hope everyone had a great time.

We began with rib removal and favorite techniques. Dave Osborn lead the way as I continued to run about getting the steam box ready. I had spent the previous three weeks getting my workshop and canoe storage garage fixed up and forgot to pay attention to the little details.

After rib removal we set up my rigs to replace the rib from the inside of the canoe for a perfect fit. We steamed the rib with no problem and squeezed it right into place. I will have to give credit to Scott Barkdoll who first showed me the concept that I have added some fine adjustments to. This works well for multiple ribs that need to be replaced in the same area.

We talked about wood grain and stock and what to look for when selecting wood to steam bend (credit here to Rollin and his video). We looked at the canoes for tips on how different builders did the little things on a cnoe. Connected outside stems to keels is best done in the Willits and I now do it their way all the time. Next was tips on how to attach stem bands starting at the bottom and working to the deck and how to bend the stem over the tip of the deck.

I may get some of this out of order, but we were telling stories all the time and broke for lunch that was organized, along with the entire event by Margaret "Splinter". Light rain did not deter the skeet shooting at the lunch break. We did find a number of good shooters among our members.

After lunch we bent some gunnels for a 16' Otca. We steamed spruce that I had soaking in kerosene for the last 3 days. I have had very poor luck in bending Spruce to anything more that a "guide" type inwale or outwale. Otca ones would break most of the time, at least often enough that I couldn't get both ends on the same piece.

With three or more bodies to hold and clamp things they bent smooth as silk. I must credit Jack McGreivey for this tip. I met Jack a few years ago in his work shop on a Friday night in January. The whole neighborhood was over having a cocktail party. But I was still able to gain some great tips on canoe building from one of the best "old timers" (that's a compliment Jack). I mentioned the problem of waisting good wood and he said soak them in kerosene and you won't have a problem. This was my first attempt at it and it worked for us.

We told more stories, talked about matching new wood to old wood and Margaret gave us a hands on demonstration of tip repair. The subject canoe happened to be the 16' Rushton I picked up from Jack that Friday night in January. Tells you how long I've been away from canoe stuff.

We got all of the rest of the canoes out on the grass and made note of the little things one looks for to ID a canoe. I know someone has pictures of that.

We had a great pot luck dinner, again orginized and presented by Margaret and the other great "Canoe wives". Great canoe stories were shared by all. I pulled out my scrap book of B.N. Morris papers I found on ebay back in 2001. They are letters from customers and associates written to Burt between 1892 and 1899 and provide very fun reading and insight to the early canoe business.

Wally, Marty, John and Dorothy were the long distance traverlers from St. Louis and told the great story of their discovery and preservation of records and artifacts from the St. Louis Meramec Canoe Co., Cindy and I had a special opportunity to get to know them as they spent the night with us on Saturday. Canoe people are the Greatest!

A big thanks goes to Margaret for all the origanizing and executing the plan and function of the event. A second big thanks goes to Dave for all help and expertise in the work shop. Dave just about ran the whole morning workshop and is great guy to have help in anyones canoe shop.

I have one canoe pic to share, but I'm sure other have pics to post.

Thanks to everyone for making this a great event.

Paul & Cindy

Attachments

• Canoe Workshop Weekend 003.JPG
    Canoe Workshop Weekend 003.JPG
    722.1 KB · Views: 523
More Pictures

18 people had a great time. Thanks to Board Members Cindy and Paul Miller for sharing their terrific Boathouse, home and hospitality. Those that missed it, really "MISSED IT"! Seems like the goup would like to have another one of these soon, perhaps this year we can have a second edition. I know a few that have done much restoration already said even they learned a few tricks from the ingenious and well researched Mr. Miller. Lots of learning and fun in one day. Good people, good food, great bunch of canoes.

Attachments

• Restorers Boathouse Symposium WCHA GRC 07 026.jpg
    Restorers Boathouse Symposium WCHA GRC 07 026.jpg
    962.2 KB · Views: 518
  • Restorers Boathouse Symposium WCHA GRC 07 032.jpg
    Restorers Boathouse Symposium WCHA GRC 07 032.jpg
    962.1 KB · Views: 521
  • Restorers Boathouse Symposium WCHA GRC 07 038.jpg
    Restorers Boathouse Symposium WCHA GRC 07 038.jpg
    975.3 KB · Views: 514
  • Restorers Boathouse Symposium WCHA GRC 07 039.jpg
    Restorers Boathouse Symposium WCHA GRC 07 039.jpg
    968.2 KB · Views: 517
  • Restorers Boathouse Symposium WCHA GRC 07 044.jpg
    Restorers Boathouse Symposium WCHA GRC 07 044.jpg
    967.5 KB · Views: 513
  • Restorers Boathouse Symposium WCHA GRC 07 067.jpg
    Restorers Boathouse Symposium WCHA GRC 07 067.jpg
    904.8 KB · Views: 500
More photos

I have 56 pictures but most are larger than will be accepted by this site. Splinter

Attachments

• Restorers Boathouse Symposium WCHA GRC 07 023.jpg
    Restorers Boathouse Symposium WCHA GRC 07 023.jpg
    936.6 KB · Views: 498
  • Restorers Boathouse Symposium WCHA GRC 07 075.jpg
    Restorers Boathouse Symposium WCHA GRC 07 075.jpg
    897.5 KB · Views: 492
  • Restorers Boathouse Symposium WCHA GRC 07 069.jpg
    Restorers Boathouse Symposium WCHA GRC 07 069.jpg
    918.9 KB · Views: 493
  • Restorers Boathouse Symposium WCHA GRC 07 067.jpg
    Restorers Boathouse Symposium WCHA GRC 07 067.jpg
    904.8 KB · Views: 478
  • Restorers Boathouse Symposium WCHA GRC 07 065.jpg
    Restorers Boathouse Symposium WCHA GRC 07 065.jpg
    872.8 KB · Views: 495
  • Restorers Boathouse Symposium WCHA GRC 07 002.jpg
    Restorers Boathouse Symposium WCHA GRC 07 002.jpg
    936.3 KB · Views: 526
Great time with the Great Rivers Chapter

Your neighbors and canoe nuts from the south, Wally and Marty Hauck and John and Dorothy Strasser (of the newly formed Valley of the Meramec Chapter) had a fabulous time at the workshop and learned so much from all of those in attendance. Paul Miller and Dave Osborn were a wealth of information. It was a great chance to learn about canoe repair, chapter organization and trade canoe stories with a wonderful bunch of fellow fanatics. Our generous hosts, Paul and Cindy Miller made us feel most welcome in their bunkhouse, a definite five star accommodation! Thanks to Margaret for giving us all of the information that we needed to get there and for including us in your chapter workshop. There was non-stop conversation all the way back to St. Louis about the wonderful people we met and all that we had learned. We are looking forward to keeping in touch with all of you and seeing you at the Assembly. We will be posting our pictures soon. We hope in the future that we can reciprocate the great hospitality that your chapter showed us.

Wally, Marty, John and Dorothy were the long distance traverlers from St. Louis and told the great story of their discovery and preservation of records and artifacts from the St. Louis Meramec Canoe Co.,

Would sure like to learn more about this...!

Aren't we fun to be with ?!?!

:D We all enjoyed meeting you very much and hope you will join us anytime you see an event that we are hosting that you may want to participate in. You are always welcome. The event was made that much better by your visit! Thanks so much for making the trip to meet us. I hope others that took pictures will post some, too. Margaret

I agree Dan,

They have a great story to tell about the treasure hunt for the history of the St. Louis Meramec Canoe Co. (They acutally have some build records). I will volunteer them to write an article for the Wood Canoe Journal and I at the same time will write an article about the material I have in the letters of Burt Morris.

I can't guarantee a time table, but I will get it done.

Thanks,

Paul

Henri V. Canoe

Dave Osborn was kind enough to send me this photo of the bark canoe from the boathouse collection. Thanks Dave.:cool:

Ferdy

Attachments

• 97_henri_v.JPG
    97_henri_v.JPG
    216.4 KB · Views: 503
That Pie

That incredible Rum-Raisin Pie was provided by Marty Hauck of the New WCHA Chapter Valley of the Meramac. We thought it was appropiate that the little pastry canoe on top busted in half on it's trip from the St Louis Hauck Kitchen to the Elburn IL Miller Kitchen. A Pie Canoe in need of restoration!! The Strassers from St. Louis brought this huge pot of Italian Beef. Did I mention we always eat really well at our events....? Gosh, we had a great time!!! Bummer that you missed it but, know you would have enjoyed seeing that Valliancourt Canoe. We thought about you. The craftsmanship is so perfect you'd think it was machine made. What a beauty!

Back