Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Gerrish Serial Number List

Discussion in 'Serial Number Search' started by MGC, Jul 10, 2018.

1. MGC

MGC Paddlephile

Several years ago this post mentioned Gerrish Serial numbers.
    http://www.wcha.org/forums/index.php?threads/gerrish-rail-length.10513/#post-78515
    I'm wondering if that list could live here where it can be added to as canoes are found.
    Not all Gerrish canoes have serial numbers but for those that do it would be very interesting to see what folks have squirreled away as well as the characteristics of each.
    I'm newly motivated..I found the numbers on mine today when I (finally) started stripping it. 813 16

2. 1905Gerrish

1905Gerrish LOVES Wooden Canoes

Mike, I'm glad that gray paint is finally coming off the Gerrish. I can work on a spreadsheet in my free time. I can tell you it's not that impressive. Your Gerrish makes my list at 11 with serial numbers. I'm guesstimating that only about only half of Gerrish's had numbers assigned to them. Does your canoe have the wider tapered stems? Are the seats all wood or do they have wood/steel rod frame? I'm assuming it has the heavier copper tacks? Number stamps on the stems?

Zack

3. OP
    OP
    MGC

MGC Paddlephile

Hi Zack I'll shoot you an email related. Any starting point to make information visible can be helpful. I learned that when I first spun up Dennis and Kathy's Morris "database" a few years back. Here we know that he stopped building in 09, we know when he started, there is anecdotal (or is there support?) information about when he started to ramp up production. We know when open rails appeared and a few other details. There are (I think) several boats around with serial numbers in the 1,700's so we might have a generalized cap number. Between the information from your fleet and hopefully a few more folks checking in here we might get a bit more of a view...granted nothing very precise but a view.

Mine does not have wide stems...and there are no markings on them as far as I can see. The seats are hung from the inside rails and have wood and (I presume) steel frames covered by rush cane. The oddity about this boat is that it has enormous decks and large ribs. Until yesterday I did not think that it had the cane lashings but on each deck I can now see where the cane had been lashed....a surprise to me considering the width of the decks. There are other details that are interesting (to me) that I'll pass along in an email. A spreadsheet (even with boats w/o sn's) would be a fabulous tool.

4. Benson Gray

Benson Gray Canoe History Enthusiast Staff Member

A article in the Wooden Canoe Journal with this information would also be great. It would reach a much wider audience who might have more Gerrish information to offer.

Gerrish's work spaces were exceptionally small for most of his career as described at http://www.wcha.org/forums/index.php?threads/14776/ from what I could find. His big expansion may have been on November 12th, 1897 when he purchased land adjacent to the "tannery lot" between Valley Avenue and Kenduskeag stream as described in the deed attached below. This deed description ends with a note that "The shore of Kenduskeag Stream is also reserved for the purpose of storing logs, etc." This area was not covered by the Sanborn maps so I haven't figured out exactly where or how big any buildings on the lot may have been. It is now part of the Kenduskeag Stream Park so everything was torn down years ago.

Benson

Gerrish-Deed-691-209.jpg

MGC likes this.