Free To a Good Home....

shelldrake

LOVES Wooden Canoes
A friend of mine saved this birchbark from the burn pile and would like to give it away. Here is what he knows about it:

- The canoe was built in the Trois-Rivie'res area of Quebec, by native Americans
- it hung in the lodge at a summer camp called Camp Norway on Fairlee Lake in Fairlee Vermont in the 1950's and 1960's. Stored in the barn since then.
- no holes in the bottom but one end is broken off and the piece is with the canoe
- 12'
- Canoe located on the Eastern Shore of Maryland

If anyone is interested, let me know and I can put you in touch with my friend.

Matt

IMG_5424 (1).jpg
IMG_5428.jpg
IMG_5429.jpg
IMG_5430.jpg
IMG_5424 (1).jpg
IMG_5428.jpg

Hi Matt, not sure your friend still has this canoe but I'd be more than happy to have a go at it. I love a challenge and any old wood/bark canoe regardless of it's condition deserves to be put back on the water.
Thanks let me know what contact info of mine you need?
Gary

Hi Gary,

Yes, still available.

Just send me a personal reply with your contact info and I'll get you guys in touch.

Matt

Hi Matt,

I'm in Canada. Member WCHA, restore old unwanted canoes as a hobby, always get them back in the water.

Thank you, Gary

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Matt, I really appreciate your help. I spent my summers growing up near Maniwaki Quebec where some of Canada's best birch bark canoe builders lived. I've always wanted to own one. I hope it works out?
Gary

Hi Matt,
The canoe is now safely back in Canada although it took some convincing at the border that it was not a rare antiquity worthy of an expensive duty charge. I'll get to it in the Spring and hope to get it back on the water despite it's current condition. I was wondering if it's possible to remove the thread now seeing as it has my home email and phone number?
Thanks again, Gary

Hi Gary,

I've removed your contact details but left the other information since it would be great if you could provide an update and some pictures when you finish it. Good luck and let me know if you want anything else. Thanks,

Benson

Last edited:
I'm pleased that you were able to work out the transfer Gary. Keep us posted on your progress with the canoe.

Matt

Thank you Benson much appreciated and come Spring when I have a stretch of warm weather to work on it I'll be sure to keep you all posted.
Thanks, Gary

Back