fly fishing

Gil Cramer

The wooden canoe Shop, Inc.
Since Chris questioned what a squirrel cat was, I've been thinking about some other common terms which make little or no sense. One is fly fishing. I've heard of bass fishing, carp fishing, pike fishing, walleye fishing, and many other types of fishing,but I really don't know much about fly fishing. What do you do with flies after you catch them??????? Is catch and released a common practice or are the flies filleted and eaten???????? What is the open season for flies?????? Is there a size limit or a creel limit????? I've looked through all of the literature for both Ohio and Michigan fishing regulations (after paying for these two, I couldn't afford Indiana's ), and can find no information whatsoever. If you 're still reading this and think that it's inappropriate, just consider that the writer was the one who bought a canoe at the WChA assembly after it was placed in the bonfire, obviously, a long time ago.

Hi Gil

Having just returned from fly fishing I believe I can provide an expert reply.
Ya got yer basic fly fishing which is done when you can no longer go Ice Fishing. And then the ice fishing starts when the fly fishing ends. so, as you can see, it balances. I will try to attach a photo of a smallie that I used to assist me in fly fishing. After the fish retrieved the fly to me I sent it back for another but it did not return. Trying to hold the rod in one hand the kodak in the other and get everyone to pose was a challenge but --

Attachments

• May 2 smallie.jpg
    May 2 smallie.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 379
Elephant Fly

This discussion reminded me of a song:

"When I See an Elephant Fly"

Music composed by Oliver Wallace.
Lyrics written by Ned Washington.

I saw a peanut stand,
Heard a rubber band,
I saw a needle that winked its eye.
But I think I will have seen everything
When I see an elephant fly.

I saw a front porch swing,
Heard a diamond ring,
I saw a polka-dot railroad tie.
But I think I will have seen everything

I seen a clothes horse he r'ar up and buck
And they tell me that a man made a vegetable truck
I didn't see that I only heard
But just to be sociable I'll take your word

I heard a fireside chat
I saw a baseball bat
And I just laughed till I thought I'd die
But I'd been done seen about everything

Kathryn I remember Dumbo!!
Another one -a friend was spring cleaning I asked him how many dirty springs he had and how long it took to clean each.:)

Hey Dan, I hope this nonsense is remotely related to wooden canoes; otherwise; it obviously should be deleted. Gil

Is that spring cleaning thing like the signs you see on the highway, that say Clean Toilets? Geez, I guess I misunderstood all these years...

Gil Cramer said:
Hey Dan, I hope this nonsense is remotely related to wooden canoes; otherwise; it obviously should be deleted. Gil

Why, I've been enjoying this, though I really thought cabin fever ended a month ago. Maybe Ohio is slower to ice-out this year? Just be careful driving through the Slow Children zone.

Fly fishin

Often I have been exhausted on trout streams, uncomfortable, wet, cold, sunburned, mosquito bitten, but never, with a fly rod in my hand have I been less than in a place that was less than beautiful

My father-in-law, the great bird hunter and conservationist that he is, once told me he was going to help with the state's Youth Hunting Program. I was shocked a bit at first, but soldiered on as one does with one's in-laws and speculated that he would likely need to lead his shots a little less. They wonder what their daughter ever saw in me.:rolleyes:

Gil Cramer said:
After viewing the latest thread in the open forum, maybe it's time to consider ice fishing.

Good idea, but ice is out of season around here just now...

...and to think Gil was once a teacher of our children! At least 'Fly fishing' makes more sense than 'Government Intelligence.' -Chuck

Ice season

When ice is out of season I try to stay in practice by casting into my open chest freezer. I must be doing something wrong however because I never catch any ice, only bags of vegatables and the occasional pizza. I'll keep trying though because I know ice is such a slippery sucker.

Nothing wrong with this string.

But,
"the one who bought a canoe at the WChA assembly after it was placed in the bonfire".

Could this canoe be even worse then that White I got from you Dan, and hauled all the way home? BTW, I just moved it out of the garage last week to make room for a new tool. It sure is "loose". :) (the new tool is a band saw.)

Dan

Back