Flotation

JClearwater

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
I want to add float bags in the bow and stern of Stephanie Lynn but figured before I spent a lot of time searching the internet I would ask the membership if anyone else found a solution to a similar problem. The whole idea being that the next time Jean & I dump over we can rescue ourselves without a lot of help. I know that almost anything can be used, inner tubes, beach balls etc but I wanted something that would fit the space a little better. There are lots of bags for kayaks available but those seem too long and skinny to work in our OT Double End boat. Thoughts anyone?

Attached is one picture of the boat. Others can be found in the thread entitled, "Stephanie Lynn is Finished".

Thanks,

Jim & Jean

Attachments

• Paul Smiths-0129.jpg
    Paul Smiths-0129.jpg
    390.2 KB · Views: 565
Jim, There are many different sizes and shapes of flotation bags available. For starters, take a look at http://www.harmonygear.com/search/bags

You may or may not want to pay attention to the weight of the bags. I use the coated fabric bags, which are light. None are indestructible. Based on your picture I would suggest a small 'point bag' in the bow and a larger canoe float in the rear. With an open gunwale canoe, running a spider web across at gunwale level will hold the bags in, but you still need a tie-down point on the floor. Many, but not all, bags have loops on the corners, to tie onto. I don't like tieing, so clip in with mini-biners. And remember, you don't HAVE to fully inflate the bag. Tom McCloud

Back