Finishing the Bow and Stern before Attaching Stem Bands

ewitzel

Curious about Wooden Canoes
How does one go about making the bow and stern water-tight? I’ve stretched and trimmed the canvas at each end, and then used silicon/ linseed oil mix as filler. However, I am not sure how to finish up each end prior to screwing on the stem bands. Does anyone have a favorite method here?

If you don't already have it, you'll benefit from The Wood & Canvas Canoe by Stelmok and Thurlow:

http://wcha.org/store/wood-canvas-c...tory-construction-restoration-and-maintenance

or other books on the subject. The filling and finishing process is described in detail there. In short, though, just keep rubbing filler over the ends as you smooth out the filler, which should cover the cut edge of the canvas and fill any gaps. Some people will follow this up with an automotive filler or glazing putty to help fill any remaining low spots. After sanding and paint, the end is ready for the stem band, attached with bedding compound or similar at least at the screws if not under the entire stem band. All of this should make for water-tight ends.

I’ve stretched and trimmed the canvas at each end, and then used silicon/ linseed oil mix as filler.
A word of caution about rubbing more of that silicon/linseed oil mix on/in. Silicon products can cause paint adhesion problems so if that is your preferred calk, be very careful to keep it off any surfaces that you plan to paint.
If you search this site you will find that there are quite a few threads where closing the ends up is discussed. I've been using a silicon free West Systems product for quite a while but there are many other options. https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--polyether-multi-caulk-sealant-white-10-3-oz--P004_127_003_502?pCode=10879864&cm_mmc=PS-_-Google-_-GSC>NonB>Product%20Type-_-10879864&product_id=10879864&creative=108421551244&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImpiGi6276gIVzZyzCh1_BwcuEAsYBSABEgIIJfD_BwE

I meant to ask, ewitzel, what is this silicon/linseed oil mix? Have you made up your own filler using silica, linseed oil and other ingredients? As you probably know, silicon (which I'm guessing you probably used to describe silica) and silicone are very different things Silicon is an element found in both silica (naturally-occurring silicon dioxide, the main component or sand, quartz, etc.,) and silicone (a synthetic substance composed of silicon, oxygen, carbon and hydrogen). Silicone sealants and surface protectants (like many wax formulas) are problematic wherever you're planning to apply a finish. Think Rain-X, which is a silicone - polydimethylsiloxane. So surely you didn't mean silicone, so by "silicon", did you mean silica? If nothing else, it's hard to imagine silicone in any readily available form that you could get mixed with linseed oil.

Last edited:
I imagine silica is what was probably meant, which is silicon dioxide. Hopefully it wasn't silicone mixed with linseed oil!:) Almost makes me want to mix some up though - I imagine a non-drying gooey mess. But maybe the greatest invention ever!:)

Back