Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Finishing Prep

Discussion in 'Wood and Canvas' started by chipfitzgerald, Jun 27, 2018.

1. chipfitzgerald

chipfitzgerald Curious about Wooden Canoes

I'm at the stage where I'm ready to start finishing the interior of my OT Charles River. What is the consensus for wood preparation prior to the of applying the multiple coat spar varnish? I've read some people use linseed oil or linseed oil blended with this and that while others simply use thinned varnish. Regarding thinned varnish, has anyone had experience using Danish oil?

2. Andy Hutyera

Andy Hutyera The Red Canoe Guy

Danish oil aka Watco, aka, Fornby’s is basically a mixture of oil and varnish probably with some thinner and Japan dryer thrown in. It is primarily used as a furniture finish. I personally prefer an initial coat of orange shellac. Almost any finish, especially varnish, bonds to the shellac. The shellac gives a very nice warm color to the ribs and planking. Not sure what the advantage of an initial coat of Watco would be.

3. Dan Miller

Dan Miller cranky canoeist Staff Member

Years ago I worked on a canoe for a customer who subsequently finished the interior with Deks Olje. Looked great, but I don't know how it held up in the long run.

It is hard to go wrong with the simple schedule of sanding the interior to 220g, first coat of good, traditional spar varnish thinned 50%, second coat thinned 75% and the remaining coats thinned 90%. Use the manufacturers recommended thinner.

MGC likes this.
  4. dtdcanoes

dtdcanoes LOVES Wooden Canoes

Dan....... do we mean thinned 50, then 25, then lastly 10 % ?

5. Dan Miller

Dan Miller cranky canoeist Staff Member

Yes, yes we do. Sorry for the confusion - no one is more confused than myself. :rolleyes: