Filling after sealing ends using bedding compound

thechief

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
I've looked,around, I can't seem to find the,answer. I just cancaves my 43 16' HW. I I used bedding compound that I got from Rollin. Seems to be great stuff. My question is my garage is not heated except for when I'm out there does the bedding compound that is used to seal the ends have to be rock hard before I start filling? It's slightly tacky now a week later. I smoothed it out earlier with a little thinner. Do you think I should wait a while? I was hoping to have it filled asap so I can attach the sponsons. Does the canoe filler have to be cured before I cover it with more canvas and the sponsons?. Also can anyone suggest the best product to level out the ends of the sponsons for a nice transition onto the canoe itself? Thanks Hank

Hank,
Bedding compound is supposed to remain flexible for it's lifespan. You are all set to fill. It will take many many years for it to dry out completely.
Zack

You can fill the canvas at any time. The filler does not have to cure before installing the sponsons. The outside canvas at the end of the sponsons can be turned under and bedded before it is tacked to the hull. This eliminates any threads. I usually use west system epoxy with microballons to fair the sponsons into the hull, but I have lots of West system epoxy. Any of the epoxy fairing compounds available should work. I like epoxy because it sticks to almost anything.

Hank,
I’m confused! Where are you using the bedding compound? The procedure should be—— a very small amount of bedding compound on the face of the stem before you pull the first canvas flap over and staple. Then another small amount on the canvas before you pull the second canvas flap over and staple. Then you do the filler. I like to set aside about a cup of the thick filler, (off the bottom of the can) before I start to fill the canvas. Then after the canvas is filled I use the thick filler to shape the ends. You can soften the filler with a bit of paint thinner. Bedding compound is used in places such as under a keel, under the stem bands or under an outside stem. Never as a filler.

Last edited:
Thanks Gill got it I was only double checking this is only my 2nd restoration the 1rst was 40 years ago. Could you tell me more about the West system or reference where I can find more info about the installation of the sponsons?
Fred, I have only used the bedding compound as you discribe. Yes there is only a small amount of bedding compound where you discribed. I miss understood someone's discrption that the bedding compound hardens when exposed to air and stays malable if not. The exposed seems at each end are slightly tacky and smooth. I am just being diligent do do the job correctly. Got my answer. I can go ahead and fill. Thanks Hank

Gill I just reread your post. I'm getting ready to test fit the sponsons now that the filler is hard. Once I'm ready to perminatly attach them would you mind explaining the procedure a little clearer ? I read I can staple the canvas temporarily on the hull while attaching them. Does anything go between the canvas to canvas surface? Does anything get used between the sponsons and its canvas on the backside? it sounds like something is used I just don't understand where and what to use when I'm ready to attach the sponsons on permanently.

100_7498.JPG
100_7497.JPG

Two photos of sponson with west system and microballoons for fairing the sponson into the hull. The lighter color is West 410 fairing filler that was used for the first fill. (Happened to grab it first to try and empty the container.) The caulking under the sponson is Boatlife caulk.

Great thanks! with yours and another's help I feel confident. Today I'm going to tackle stretching one side maybe 2 depending on my hands. Just double checking one thing. I'm going to be using bedding compound on the flap ends and the length of the sponson at the tack line. Do I also use bedding compound on the inside (wood to canvas) length? The factory obviously used something in each area I mention except the canoe side.
The boatlife caulk and fairing fill won't be added until I fill the sponson canvas.

Hi Gill I'm at the point of using the west system to cover and build up the sponsob ends .
Does the canvcase have to be fullky cured?
I bought the 2 west products you mentioned. Do I use both or just the red? West system with microballons? Thanks Hank

Back