Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Filler and more filler.

Discussion in 'Wood and Canvas' started by Dave Wermuth, Nov 2, 2021.

1. Dave Wermuth

Dave Wermuth Who hid my paddle?

Greetings. Filler is a question that seems to be a recurring topic. In my orbits at least. I've landed on latex fillers and have been happy with Sherwin Williams Pro Block. But supply chain issues are blamed for my local store's lack of product. So I asked them if there is a substitute or similar primer/sealer to pro block and they said Kilz. Kilz? Hmm. So I went down to big box and the shelves were full of kilz in three or four variations. I got the mildewcide version. Kilz 3. I'm trying it on a rowboat and it is looking good so far. I would not have guessed to try this stuff. But it's exterior primer/sealer and latex, and compatible with oil based paint, so.....

Has anyone else used Kilz? Comments?

Meanwhile, I'll be using the 'search' field.

Dave.

2. Rob Stevens

Rob Stevens Wooden Canoes are in the Blood

I have used Zinser 1-2-3 high build primer. With added 404 fairing compound after the first coat. I don't understand how this is compatible with enamel paint, but it works.

Dave Wermuth likes this.
  3. patrick corry

patrick corry Curious about Wooden Canoes

Does such a product have an adequate content of silica to achieve the necessary "hardness" along with it's priming/sealing properties? I'm a rank amateur with only one canvas filling to my credit, and that was mixed for me by an experienced local restorer using enamel paint, silica powder, linseed oil, etc.

4. OP
    OP
    Dave Wermuth

Dave Wermuth Who hid my paddle?

"Does such a product have an adequate content of silica" Patrick, yes, it does. And it has the consistency I like. So far I am happy with what I am seeing. For a final top coat I may mix in exterior latex lightweight spackle 50/50 and squeegee it smooth before sand and prime, etc.