Epoxy from U.S. Composites?

battle

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Has anyone used "635 Thin Epoxy Resin System" from U.S. Composites? Price for 5 gal of resin and 2.5 gal of hardener is $290.00. This is less than half the cost of MAS and other big brand names. I've always used MAS epoxy on previous projects, but the price of the U.S. composites product has definitely got my attention! I have purchased cloth from them in the past and been pleased.

Here's a link:http://www.uscomposites.com/epoxy.html
I'd love to know what the experts think........

I've used it for a different kind of project. Seems to work fine. I think I have a case of 3 gallons resin and a gallon of hardener. If you want it I'll beat their price.

Thanks jchu, I may take you up on that. I still want to hear from someone who's used it to build a stripper before I commit.

Thanks for the input, Todd. Don't think semi-clear is what I'm looking for. I'll be using 10 oz. cloth, so I'd hate to obscure the wood even more by using the wrong epoxy....

I think mine is the medium, I guess a thin slow dry would be better for your purpose, I'll take a look at it. It ends up being a yellow when dry.

Well it is the thin. 4 gallons total. I used it to replicate the shape of a rib canoe doing small sections at a time. I think it would be fine for a stripper. Anyone want it?

Attachments

• 00001.jpg
    00001.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 593
Battle,

FWIW, US Composite resins are commonly used on strippers here in the Cities, I "think" I am have some, but not sure, a guy bought it for me cheap and I can't remember what it is, but if it is USC, it's worked fine on the small projects I've used it on so far.

If you want clear resin, check out Sys 3 Clear Coat, it's close to "water" clear. It's also very low viscosity. You won't want it for filling that heavy cloth.
I use their SB 112 for filling.

Dan

I sold it to pumpkin on the forums here back on the original post date. You can probably PM him and see how he has come along with it.

I finally pulled the trigger and gave the US Composites epoxy a try. It has a nice clear finish and was relatively easy to work with. Did have some blushing to deal with, but a a quick wash with warm soapy water made short work of it. For the money, I definitely recommend it. Comes in at a little more than half of what I was paying for MAS. I used the medium hardener.

Back