Early E.M. White....???

The Canoe Kid

LOVES Wooden Canoes
People of the paddle!

What can you tell me about this White? What I know is it's an 18' Guide model.

Any idea when it was made? Anything unique about it? See any issues?

Are the thwarts original? It almost looks like they're made out of Maple.

It's for sale in NJ, listed on CL.

Thanks,

TCK

It looks like a nice one. The "D" shaped rear seat was last shown in the 1923 White catalog so it is probably older than that. I don't know of any other way to date it. Good luck,

Benson

It appears that White continued to offer closed gunwales through the mid 1920s but their catalogs were not dated during that period so it is difficult to determine a more exact date. Closed gunwales were last listed in the 1929 Old Town catalog. The "D" seat is a better age indicator for this canoe. The thwarts look original to me. The half ribs are unusual. I've not found a reference to this option in their catalogs.

Benson

Last edited:
The half ribs are unusual. Didnt realize this, Jerry figured my white was around the '20s, and its got half ribs. It is open gunwale with the brass stemguards and oval plate. Needs work mind you...

It appears that the boat might of been worked on in the past. It seems that I can see some plugged holes down the centerline for a keel and some odd markings under the fwd seat that might of been a mast step. The rail tips are flush with the stem and most often the White rials ran past the stem. From the picture it looks like the center thwart might not be in the center but that might just be the angle of the image. Could it be possible the decks and thwarts are replacements?

Hi, Rollin. I agree - it has had some work done to it - definitely a keel was removed, boat was recanvassed. Here are some more pics to show other things I saw.

Sorry for the repeats.

Thanks

TCK

uploads photos

Agreed, a very nice boat. I went out to look at my White. D seat also. sponsons, odd deck. Obviously fiber-glassed. Don't know if this helps any. That wide tacked on bang strip must be original. I have the same.

Attachments

• IMG_4805.JPG
    IMG_4805.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 433
  • IMG_4806.JPG
    IMG_4806.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_4804.JPG
    IMG_4804.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_4807.JPG
    IMG_4807.JPG