Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Deck Construction Detail On "old Town"

Discussion in 'Wood and Canvas' started by Brad Posey, May 20, 2018.

1. Brad Posey

Brad Posey An Old Man with a New Project

Looking for the detail on the convergence of the Stem, in wales and the deck plate.
    There wasn't enough left on my 1926, for me to be sure of the structure. Can't find any pics with out the brass guard to be able to see the top detail.
    [​IMG]This is not an old town, but I think it is the same, I Hope. Appreciate input
    Thanks
    Brad

Attached Files:

• deck.JPG
      deck.JPG
      File size:
      147.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: May 20, 2018
  2. Benson Gray

Benson Gray Canoe History Enthusiast Staff Member

3. OP
    OP
    Brad Posey

Thanks Benson

4. Fitz

Fitz Wooden Canoes are in the Blood

The inwales on Old Towns are tapered and run past the tip of the deck. They mate over the top of the stem. Two small iron nails were driven through the sides of the inwales into the top of the stem. Simple as that.

Brad Posey likes this.
  5. Craig Johnson

Craig Johnson LOVES Wooden Canoes

Here are a couple photos. Like Fitz said, just a couple finish nails through inwales to stem. I use a couple stainless steel finish head screws instead. The wider stem tip from the splice gives a little more contact area and more room for screws. DSC00184.jpeg DSC00188.jpeg DSC00189.jpeg

Attached Files:

Brad Posey likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Brad Posey

Those photos are exactly what i was after. I like the splice that you used, good surface to work with.

7. OP
    OP
    Brad Posey

Craig Johnson, I'm looking at your spliced inwales. Did you steam bend them to shape before attaching them?

8. Craig Johnson

Craig Johnson LOVES Wooden Canoes

9. Michael Graessle

Michael Graessle Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes

Speaking of bending the inwales, I soaked and steamed my inwales and bent them. However, I did not bend them far enough for the couture of my deck. Is it possible to re-soak and bend them again?

10. OP
    OP
    Brad Posey

Just did the same. I over bent, but wasn't enough. I'll recut the form, re-soak/steam and rebend. I think it best the let dry for longer than you would think, 4 or 5 days.

11. Michael Graessle

Michael Graessle Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes

Thanks Brad, I will let it dry this week and recut my forms. I just hope the mahogany holds out. It is very hard to bend.