Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Cutting Molds In Relation To Sheer Line

Discussion in 'Wood and Canvas' started by Steve Oostema, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Steve Oostema

Steve Oostema New Member

Hello All,

I am new to the forum and also in the process of building my first strip canoe. I have a question regarding where to cut my molds in relation to the sheer line. When cutting out the molds, would you cut them at the sheer line leaving an edge for the bottom of the first sheer strip (obviously not cutting all the way from port to starboard as you want a section of the mold to attach to the strongback)? Or do you cut the molds a little past the sheer line (closer to the strongback) and just mark the location of the sheer for the installation of the first strip?

Thanks for your help,
    Steve

2. Rod Tait (Orca Boats)

Rod Tait (Orca Boats) Designer/Builder

I am assuming you are building a cedar strip/fiberglass canoe? It helps to have a little extra material below the sheer lines on the forms. What plans are you building from?

3. OP
    OP
    Steve Oostema

Steve Oostema New Member

Thanks Rod. Yes, I'm going to be building a cedar strip/fiberglass canoe. I'm lofting the Ranger plans from Canoecraft.

4. Mike Daugherty

Mike Daugherty New Member

I am currently making the Ranger as well. I have the molds mounted on the strongback. I lofted my molds from the Canoecraft book was well. I created a 1” area below the sheer line in anticipation of trying the stapleless method and needing somewhere to place the bottom jig. In effect I dropped a line straight down from where the curve of the mold meets the sheer line and extended it down 1”. From there I cut the base back to 6” from the centerline. This way the part of the form that rests on the strongback is 12” wide and fits the top of my strongback. BTW I aligned my molds on the strongback using a cheap laser level. One of those levels with the built in laser that can do a dot or a line. I did use the string method to align the bow and stern assemblies first. Then mounted the laser on the bow and a target on the stern.