Cool Paint Job

Dave Osborn

LIFE MEMBER
Attached is a photo of a 16' Thompson Hiawatha that I'm currently tearing down for restoration. It has a cool frog on both sides of the bow. Thought you might like to see it.
This is the canoe that I have been looking for original Thompson seats for on the classifieds. Still looking. The replacement seats, likely Old Town were only $5.25 each when purchased. I have no idea how long ago that was. Any guesses??

Attachments

• 100_1018.jpg
    100_1018.jpg
    512.7 KB · Views: 514
  • 100_1019.jpg
    100_1019.jpg
    505.8 KB · Views: 490
  • 100_1020.jpg
    100_1020.jpg
    481.6 KB · Views: 481
  • 100_1023.jpg
    100_1023.jpg
    495.4 KB · Views: 408
The frog is great-- will you be able to save it?

I'm thinking '70s for the seats--- they were a couple dollars less in 1960, and my computer won't let me look at the catalogs from the '70s right now (we sometimes face a standoff, and it usually wins).

Kathy

Kath,
Saved both sides, per customer's instruction. Hoping to talk them out of one when the job is done.

I'm not that talented, Daniel! I had a canoe come in with sharks teeth on it once. I told the customer that I would be happy to paint it black, but I don't do sharks teeth!:eek:

Frog

Dave, Have you tried ? Just trace the original and put it on the canvas. Practice a little on some masonite, with the correct colors and different brushes, and voila !! . You may even be able to charge for your new found skill.

Use a white outliining pencil to draw/trace the frog in. Then paint in the correct colors and you have it. A white Staedtler Lumocolor non permanent should do the trick. Or yellow if you prefer. Take the original to a copy place and have some copies run to make templates with.

ATTACH=CONFIG]15060[/ATTACH
If it were my canoe, I'd frog it up like you wouldn't believe!! Outer stems went on yesterday and a varnish touch up today will complete the canoe. I used Epifanes Monourethane paint for the first time. I liked it.

Attachments

• 100_1081.jpg
    100_1081.jpg
    490.4 KB · Views: 393
Hey Dave;
The paint job looks great, BUT, Ya gotta do the Frog!!!!!!
Good luck Froggy!
........Dave

P S I can see the headlines now; Super Dave Does Froggy!!!

frog rewls

I have been working on the frog painting. I hope to finish cleaning it up this weekend. Then I will need to find someone that can make a decal from a .jpg file.

If you can get your hands on a computer projector, then you could project the image of the frog on the canoe to get the outline.

Back