Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

cleaning up brass hardware

Discussion in 'Wood and Canvas' started by Scott, May 8, 2005.

1. Scott

Scott Curious about Wooden Canoes

Any suggestions on shining up the brass hardware on an old OT? Should I even bother?

2. sumpscot

sumpscot Curious about Wooden Canoes

Sure, it won't last but its great for pictures and special occasions. Any brass cleaner you're comfortable with (like Brasso). Don't use a buffing wheel except on the bench as one can't control them precisely. Elbow grease. Ever hear the term "brass monkey"? Get a couple.

3. OP
    OP
    Scott

Thanks, I was hoping that there would be some fabulous invention that I could just dip them in for a sparkling shine. Time to roll up the sleeves.

4. Bill Whalen

Bill Whalen Curmudgeon

From my navy days: BRASSO.

From my submarine days (when we couldn't foul the atmosphere with something so "volatile"): citric acid. Stick a penny into a lemon -- it comes out shiny brite. Use some orange or lemon "kool aid" powder on a damp rag to scour off any discoloration from brass or bronze, works great!

5. OP
    OP
    Scott

now that's the kind of information I was looking for. Many thanks!

6. garypete

garypete LOVES Wooden Canoes

Final brass polish

After you have the major tarnish and oxidation removed with Brasso or citric acid, try ordinary lipstick for a final polishing compound. Rub it on a brass part and polish with a soft cloth and elbow grease. It gives a fantastic polish that lasts for, oh a week or two, until the brass starts tarnishing again from natural oxidation.

Jewelers Polishing Rouge is made from the same compound as lipstick.

7. bpolvo

bpolvo Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes

I made up a home brew that I found on this web site.
    http://chemistry.about.com/cs/howtos/ht/brasscleaner.htm
    I soaked all the screws in this solution for two nights then used a tooth brush to clean them up. The results were great and making our own cleaner was fun for my son.

Bob