Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Cleaning Fasteners, Rowlocks, Etc.

Discussion in 'Wood and Canvas' started by smallboatshop, Sep 4, 2018.

1. smallboatshop

smallboatshop Restorers

Has anyone had experience with cleaning pieces and parts with a tumbler? A visitor to the shop asked if I wouldn't find that to be the way to go.....

2. Dave Osborn

Dave Osborn LIFE MEMBER

I clean screws and small parts in a tumbler. It’s a rock tumbler. Wish I had an bigger one for row locks and larger parts, but....
    First I clean them with paint remover or acetone. I do that in a varnish can that fits on my tumbler.
    After rinsing, I put the parts in a rubber drum with treated walnut shell media and let them tumble a couple of days.
    Bits of the walnut get caught in the screw slots, but they are easily removed.
    I bought the tumbler from Harbor Freight and get the media on eBay. It’s normally used for polishing bullet casings.

3. charvey

charvey Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes

Tumblers are awesome for polishing all metals. I pick up my walnut shells at pet supply stores. Experiment by adding your choice of polishing liquid to the walnut shells while tumbling. Be sure to print a 20% coupon from harbor freight.

4. Todd Bradshaw

Todd Bradshaw Sailmaker

The tumblers like the Lyman Turbo Tumbler which are sold for cleaning brass cartridges for reloaders can be had in the $50-$60 range and do a nice job.

5. Gary Willoughby

Gary Willoughby Boat Builder

I tried to clean up some cup washers with a lyman tumbler using walnuts. Ran it two days did nothing no clean up at all.

6. Andre Cloutier

Andre Cloutier Firestarter. Wicked Firestarter.

Drop them in Coca Cola for a day or two. Shines he pennies up real nice. Don’t think about your internals.....lol