Classified Ad Feed

Dan Miller

cranky canoeist
Staff member
I had a request to see if we can get new ads posted on the classifieds to appear when clicking on the "New Posts" link above. A little poking around led to this solution: I have set up an RSS feed that will post new classified ads into a new forum (WCHA New Classified Ads Feed) found at the bottom of the forums page. New ads will be posted within 30 minutes, and will be shown in addition to other new posts when clicking the "New Posts" link above.

If you visit this forum, a preview of the ad will be show, and a "more" link will take viewers to the real ad in the WCHA Classifieds. Posts to this new forum will expire after 14 days.

To browse all of the WCHA Classifieds, or to post a new ad, go to the WCHA Classifieds.

Thank you. I love it....I really like one stop shopping and the new posts button is a a nice single button way to scan the site quickly.
Your "fix" is pretty clever, almost elegant!

Last edited:
Hi Dan,

That works really well for viewing classifieds, but it has temporarily upset my donkey cart when it comes to viewing other forums. I have been in the habit of clicking the "new posts" icon to see what's happening in the WC forum. Now all I see is ads and it took me awhile to figure out what was going on, since I always start at the bottom. Is it possible to use a different icon to distinguish ads from the others (or a different one for each of the forums, since you have nothing to do in your spare time :rolleyes:)? And I realize that I will now do better to go directly to the Wood and Canvas forum. There will always be a whiner when you change anything! I appreciate your efforts.

Once they are no longer "new posts" you should not see them any more when clicking the New Posts link. Since we get less than one ad per day, it should not be a problem in the future to separate them out. (I just happened to seed it with 15 to get started...).

Dan

Back