Chestnut Style Painters?

Fitz

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
In Memoriam
Does anyone know where to buy Chestnut style painter rings these days? I have bought a few from North Bay Canoe & Kayak in the past, but they don't seem to offer them now.

Fitz.

No Luck

I don't see them at Hamilton.

It is just a threaded brass wire eye and a ring.

Was going to suggest the same place; if they have what you need but shipping and customs are too much send it to me and I'll forward it regular mail. Good place to deal with, they do carry a lot of nice stuff. Anything to help a guy in a viking hat:D

Dave McDaniel had made some and had them at the Assembly in NH - maybe he's still got some.

Painter Rings

I don't think Tendercraft has them either. Apparently, painter rings are going extinct, so we will probably need to fabricate.

Anything to help a guy in a viking hat

Wrong tribe. Plains Indian Medicine Man.:eek:

Well, I found these at Flag and Banner.com. Don't know the size:

c050484.jpg

I can find the rings and I can find the screw eyes, but not too many places with the assembly. You may be reduced to buying the pieces, opening the eye, inserting the ring and closing the eye.

Wrong tribe. Plains Indian Medicine Man

Well then all i have to say is Bundìn er bàtlaus mađur
'specially on the plains.
Oh and due to recent windstorms I have a sweet deck for your 'most improved 16/30 sailor" trophy. Provided you can get back to shore to claim it!:eek::eek::eek:

Close

Canoez:

Thanks, that is close, but I like the kind that are threaded and bolt through the deck.

Yeah, I think it's time to make some.

Fitz

Fitz: I make my own, just go to a hardwear and get a brass screen door hook,3in. Cut off the hook, run a 10-24 die over the shaft, install washer & nut.
Open the eye and remove the eye screw, install ring. I get the rings at Tractor Supply, harness hard wear. Install ring and bend back the eye.DSCN1847.jpg

That's what I'm talking about!

I knew there had to be a way of quickly fabricating these things. Thanks for the tip on the door hook!

Brass eye bolts seem to be hard to find, so I was considering finding brass rod and going from there.

Thanks again Dave.

Fitz.

For Brass rod try speedymetals.com or onlinemetals .com. I have bought brass bar stock and rod from both. No minuimum order and they ship quickly.

Painter

But then the Chestnut Chum would have an Old Town painter ring. We can't have that now can we? :confused:

Very much Kidding. I have since found one in my stash, salvaged off an old Chestnut, but I'm gonna look into making some too.

Thanks everyone for the help. Part of me wonders why these things are getting hard to find though.

Fitz

Perhaps so. I found a picture of the original painter ring supplied by Chestnut in 1965. Clearly not the same (or as good). For what it's worth, take a look at the craftsmanship on these two Prospectors. Great design, but lousy building - most everything fell apart on the canoes during our trip south from Lake Athabasca. No great surprise the company went under a few years later.

Prospectors Athabasca River 1965.jpg

As Built

I hear you loud and clear Giiwedin. I like your rings better too, I am sure they are more secure (I lost a Chestnut one out of a deck traveling on the highway once - vibration loosened the nut) and put them on OTs and others, but when I put my projects back together I try to go for an as built condition. Just a philosophy thing. So I like to use the same hardware that came on the canoe originally.

Fitz.

Back