Chestnut Moose Hauler - What is it?

Discussion in 'Research and History' started by Fitz, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Fitz

Fitz Wooden Canoes are in the Blood

Some of the forum folks may know that I was on a search for a square stern canoe in need of restoration for my tripping buddy who was/is convinced he needs a square stern in his ripe old age of 43. Turns out he did a pretty good job of finding one himself.

I met him deep in the North Maine Woods this week on our annual camping trip with the kids and he shows up with this beast.

It is a 20 footer. Chestnut, built like an Ogilvy. It has only three thwarts, plastic caned seats (maybe redone??), a pulley on the center thwart for the anchor, a shoe keel, I think I recall outside stems, no serial number, vee stern, not sure of the depth and beam.

I'm guessing Ogilvy "Pool" or a 20 ft. "22 Foot Fishing" canoe. 3 thwarts seems to be a descriminating factor?? The anchor pulley seems to be offered after 1965.

It handles surprisingly well solo, for a barge.

Any ideas out there?

PS. My bud's first remarks were "Jeez, isn't this buggar heavy"..What have I been telling him all this time!!!!!:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

2. Todd Bradshaw

Todd Bradshaw Sailmaker

Looks like a "Pool", though the photos I have show only one of those wide slab thwarts (center) and smaller rectangular thwarts at the stern quarter position and just behind the bow seat along with small handle-thwarts at both ends. Factory weight was supposed to be 118 lbs. A glorious big boat, but certainly a portager's nightmare!

Attached Files:

3. Chuck Hoffhine

Chuck Hoffhine Wooden Canoe Nut

I think the best idea would be to trade it in for a 'real' canoe!

-Chuck

4. Todd Bradshaw

Todd Bradshaw Sailmaker

Personally, I'd love to have a big old Ogilvie or even a Chestnut freighter. I have a 22' fur trade canoe, but don't know any Voyageurs and my wife and I would look like the "after the mutiny" photos if we tried to take it out by ourselves. I'd trade for a big old Chestnut if I could ever find one in decent shape, but I seem to live in a void for that type of thing.

5. OP
    Fitz

Fitz Wooden Canoes are in the Blood

Vee Stern

Here is another question:

How was the canvas secured on these Chestnut vee stern ends?

This one has had some fiberglass slathered on the stern presumably to stop some leaking.

6. davelanthier

davelanthier Wooden Canoes are in the Blood

Got one

Todd B., I have a 20' Chestnut Olgilvy that is in need of canvas but other wise very good condition if you are interested. Do you feel like a bit of a drive? Fitz, I have lots of pictures that might help answer your question. Send me your email address and I'll get them to you.

7. Todd Bradshaw

Todd Bradshaw Sailmaker

Square stern or V-stern? I know a good canoe hauler that regularly comes across after starting in Seattle, but I don't think they get that far up into Canada. Oh well, By the time I bought it and had it shipped here it would probably cost an arm and a leg anyway.

8. davelanthier

davelanthier Wooden Canoes are in the Blood

Todd, it is a 20' V stern Chestnut Olgivy Special, the Pool model, circa 1973.