Cedar Logs

slk

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Does anyone have a good idea what you would have to pay for cedar logs? Say 8 1/2 feet long by whatever the normal size is for diameter. I am just looking for a reference point to go by. I have a woodmizer mill but have never bought any cedar logs, or any other kind. I usually cut red oak and white oak. I am going to be calling some loggers this week to see if any in my area have any cedar logs. Also is there a way to tell if the wood is going to be clear by just looking at the log?

Thanks
Steve

Reactions: MGC
I'm not sure what you should expect to pay for logs... my father and I once paid $10 per old growth standing trees that we removed from state land using horses to pull it out...no machinery allowed.
We had it all sawed and found that it was really sort of pot luck what you got. Clear wood is a hand sort which is why many of the builders have mills they buy from that put what looks good off to the side for them. You need to saw up quite a few trees to get enough clear wood for a few boats.
Good luck.

I was not sure either. This cedar hunting is all new to me. It has been years since I have built a canoe on my mold. Prices for everything have gone over the roof. I was just trying to see if buying logs would be economical. Up here in MN people do not seam to log for cedar anymore as the old growth is most likely long gone. It is fun to search for the stuff. I figure at my age if I could find a couple of good trees they might last me my lifetime. I talked to a mill up north here and they wanted 6 to 10 dollars a board foot for clear cedar. That is higher than hardwood. I am glad I am not in the canoe building business. It is enjoyment to make a few for friends and see their eyes light up when they see them.

Finding good clear NWC has always been a challenge, even Joe Seliga was always looking for a good log.
He often used WRC for planking as longer NWC was hard to get in longer lengths.

I quick check of the Duluth c-list has this.
=====================================
Northern white Cedar tongue & groove/ v-groove.
1x4 1x6 or custom sizing.
3.35 sq ft
I have a large supply of cedar, big and small. Call me if you need any custom milling, cedar posts etc..
Mike 218-360-4358
=================================
Donn ☎ (218) 340-1273

White Cedar Shingles and Select Lumber! (Superior,WI) hide this posting
Welcome to White Cedar Shingles and Lumber! In our Twin Ports mill we produce some of the highest quality White Cedar products! From shingles and siding to flooring and tongue n groove. All of our Cedar is grown in the Northland. We haul it from the forest to our mill.No mega mill No middle men, No chemicals.We offer cedar lumber and siding as well as shingles. We also sell shavings, bulk mulch, and sawdust for your garden or garage. So if it's a special project or just sprucing up the fishing cabin, our 16x1/2 or 24x5/8 White Cedar shingles will have your White Cedar needs covered! Call today for pricing on what you need!
======================================
Dan

Long clear lengths of NWC have always been hard to get -- a major reason why Old Town and other builders used western red cedar, even though it had to be shipped cross-country.

I am wondering if there is a certain diameter log that will be clear. I found someone who has lots of 6"-8" logs. I am just thinking that there is no way they could be clear of knots, but I really have no idea.

Steve

Back