Canvas Under Sponson: Remove?

Matt C

Curious about Wooden Canoes
This is my first post, but I've enjoyed browsing the forum for tips over the past year. I'm restoring what I believe to be a Skowhegan or Kennebec Sponson Canoe. Deck shape, stem, and history of the boat are my reasons for this guess. I know the boat was built before 1950 and it's original location was Rangeley Me, not far from Skowhegan. I can faintly see serial # 1391 or just 139 on the stem.

My question: I've peeled away a fiberglass job and I'm now down to the bare wood with the exception of a old canvas layer sandwiched between the hull and sponson -- clearly left over from the original canvas job. Do I need to remove this canvas and therefore remove the sponson, or should I simply trim it away and leave the remainder under the sponson? I'm concerned about removing the sponson and damaging it in the process.

Second question: Some resin remains on the outside of the hull after peeling away the fiberglass. Do I need to fully remove this resin down to bare wood for proper canvasing, or can I simply sand down to a smooth surface?

Thanks for any help.

Matt C
Pictures below:
side view-sponson.JPG

Bow.JPG

You need to remove the sponsons in order to recanvas the canoe properly. The canoe is canvassed first, with the sponsons off, in the usual manner, then the sponsons are canvassed separately and then reattached (some stretch the sponson canvas along the side of the canoe, reattach the sponsons, then finish stretching the canvas over the sponsons.). Some folks just leave the sponsons off entirely).

Resin that is otherwise bound tightly to the planking can be sanded or scraped smooth. I think it is important to get resin out from the seams; if a piece breaks loose and works itself between the canvas and hull, it can wear a hole through the canvas.

Back