Canvas mits

ken mueller

Canton, Ohio
I needed to make several canvas mits for smoothing the canvas filler. Can't sew. After cutting out the right size for the mit, I put a bead of Gorilla Glue around the edge, then pressed both pieces between a board with a car battery on top. Did 8 mits all at the same time. Works great!

Regular wood glue works well, too. Been doing that for years. I highly reccomend the adheisve sewing technique. Don't really need the battery, just press tight and wait.

Last time, I just used an office stapler - just keep the seams away from your hands!

I've tried the stapler method, too. Glue is a nicer result, but with the staples you're ready to go right away if you've forgotten to glue up a mitt in advance...

I took an old wooden cement trowel with a handle and tacked some rug around it. Then I stapled left over canvas to that and when it is saturated I remove it and staple on another piece...........works fine for me for that first good rub in!

What am I doing wrong?

great ideas about 'mits' But when I go to rub in the filler I tend to stick to the filler and smudge it up. makes it less smooth. Any hints?

:) In Rollin's description in his book, he suggests only doing a litttle section at a time, having a helper roll it on, and then following with a good rub in while it is good and liquid...I dont have a helper but switch tasks very efficiently! havent had a problem so far!

Oops!

:confused: Oops.........maybe it was Jerry's description!......Now I will have to check to see who does it that way!.........anyway........it works!

Wow! I thought I had a novel idea with the Gorilla Glue! Looks like a lot of you beat me to it. Same thing happened when I invented the internet...

Where to buy Canvas mits

I would like to know if anyone can tell me where to buy canvas mits? This is my first canoe that I'm restoring. I want to do it rite. No half _____

Brian H Derose

Attachments

• oldtown0005.JPG
    oldtown0005.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 530
Brian - read further back in this thread - plenty of suggestions for using work gloves, or DIY from the canvas scraps you will have. You are just rubbing in goop, not painting a Picasso, so any solution works.

canvas mit or glove?

MikeCav said:
Brian - read further back in this thread - plenty of suggestions for using work gloves, or DIY from the canvas scraps you will have. You are just rubbing in goop, not painting a Picasso, so any solution works.
Would cotton canvas gloves work? If I were to use a mit would it go on smoother?

Back