Canoe out of water

DUUKANU

Bill Craven
I am working on a '55 OT Guide in very great shape. After a few weeks of looking everything over I've come to the conclusion it is in better shape than I believed. It was stored 8 years in a cinder block and cement floored basement causing any moisture in the wood disappear and cause some shrinkage. THAT"S IT. Before light sanding and new finish I wanted to soak the canoe in water for a number of days (as occasionally done with wooden boats). Is this a good or bad idea?

I'm sure others with much more experience can give you a better answer so take this for what it's worth. The reason for soaking a wooden boat is to swell the wood and make it water tight. This is not an issue with a W/C canoe. True, some canoeist soak their W/C canoes before running rapids. The purpose here is to make the cedar flexible so that when a rock is encountered the wood bends instead of breaking. I guess the question in your case is what is to be gained by doing this? Once the water evaporates you'll be back where you started. The moisture content of seasoned wood is a function of its surroundings. It will continue to vary in reaction to the humidity of the air. The most I would do is perhaps apply a coat of thinned linseed oil to the hull before you recanvas.

Thanks, Andy. My intentions are to store the canoe outside under cover above open earth with other wooden boats. I know any time I have boats in a garage they dry and shrink. The canvas is in great shape with no blistering or seperation from the hull. Perhaps by spring we'll know how much she'll swell.

I really don't think it makes much difference. I stored my canoe inside garages & storage trailers for 17 years and I did linseed oil the interior [original canvas] at the end of a summer of stripping. There really does not apear to be any change in the flexability.

My Pappy built flat bottom wooden rowboats & spaced the boards a nail's width apart. Each spring it had to be soaked for a week or two & stayed water tight all summer as it was stored in the water. Hauling it out allowed them to shrink. W/C canoes are not purpose built to swell like the rowboats. The synergy comes from the canvas, ribs & planking having independent movement combined w/ unitary strength.

First time you see a rock in a rapid 'bulge' it's way along the bottom of the canoe, you realize how unique and dynamic the w/c canoe can be.

Back