Canoe lumber Minnesota/Northern WI area

Tariacuri

Chris Fisher, Colorado
Hello all
I'm going to be in MN - Cities and Duluth - at the end of the month with a trailer and was wondering if anyone knew of or has rib, planking, and inwhale/outwhale stock for a 17.5' boat?

Not much available here in CO

Thanks, Chris

Hey Dave - depending on what happens I may hit you up for the ash. At the end of the month I'm picking up a canoe trailer from Remackel, headed to Duluth to collect the sides of a DMIR ore Jennie that was scrapped, purchasing some hardware from an Ore Boat that was scrapped, then headed back. It's going to be a real Great Lakes nostalgia journey. I love CO but miss Duluth every day. Go Badgers!! Chris

Chris,
Please expand on this.

collect the sides of a DMIR ore Jennie that was scrapped, purchasing some hardware from an Ore Boat that was scrapped,

And some years ago I bought some white cedar from a guy in Duluth, don't know his name but he and his father run/ran a small mill of some kind and were selling lumber.
Try some searches of add's for the Duluth area.

Dan

ore-car-side.png
pictures_31016_dmir529310209.jpg

Cool - That's a pretty substantial piece of steel. I assume it's going in a mancave or garage?

My dad grew up in Duluth and as a young man worked a couple summers on track repair.
He still has a 3' piece of track he carried some distance to a car to keep as a momento,
he said the super told him he could have it but didn't think he could/would carry it back to the car.

I will say that I collect a lot of things that my wife rolls her eyes at :rolleyes: ,canoes, tools, toy trains, stamps, etc). However, a 1:1 scale caboose is high on her wish list.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about building a facsimile caboose minus the trucks and on a foundation as a writing room/office. Turning a modified cupola into the actual office. Will probably never get around to it. I use our vintage camper for that now sometimes. I'm very productive in that space cause . . . . no internet (LOL).

Lot's of memories of riding in a caboose back in the day. The cupolas had great views and the little stove kept them nicely warm. Some of the rails run through really amazing places.
There's a caboose in someone's backyard up in Northern NY...on a short piece of track overlooking a big field. When it was delivered and installed everyone thought it was nuts...but I get it. I suppose you could play the rail music on a sound system.

Back