Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Canoe Building Book Suggestions

Discussion in 'Strippers, Stitch-n-Glue, and Other Wood Composite' started by Veinot, May 22, 2018.

1. Veinot

Veinot New Member

Originally posted in the wooden boats forum and someone from there suggested I post here;

"Hi All;
    My wife wants a canoe so I have been looking for a good book with plans to follow and was wondering if anyone has used a book to build a canoe and could drop some pictures of the result. I am familiar skin on frame construction, currently building a kayak for myself using this method. I would prefer to do something in the stitch and glue method because I do not have a lot of space for a mold or forms.
    The kind of canoe she wants is a double touring canoe; I would like to also build a open double paddle canoe for my oldest as a first boat."

Let me know, thanks,

2. Benson Gray

Benson Gray Canoe History Enthusiast Staff Member

3. Jim Dodd

Jim Dodd LOVES Wooden Canoes

Nick Shade, of Gillemont , has a couple of great building books, but better yet, his videos are top notch, as well as his explanations !
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCE4SrExIQ2h7tK_dUCXy4Fw
    Canoecraft, by Ted Moore is the standard, and a new one on the scene, very well illustrated by Suzan Van Leuven, Canoe Building.

Jim

4. Rob Stevens

Rob Stevens Wooden Canoes are in the Blood

5. Rob Stevens

Rob Stevens Wooden Canoes are in the Blood

6. Jim Dodd

Jim Dodd LOVES Wooden Canoes

7. OP
    OP
    Veinot

Veinot New Member

That is a lot; I think on hind sight the issue is, well 2 things; a I am new to building boats and never tried a stitch and glue, 2 is with all the options I am not sure what I want really. From the other forum I think I have it narrowed down, for my wife, a prospector or Canadain styled canoe. For the oldest, anything easy to build geared to new paddlers. So I guess what I should ask is what would you, as in all of you, suggest for a first time build that has had good success?