Canadien canoe - Peterborough?? Year??

jam010148

LOVES Wooden Canoes
I just completed restoration on what I purchased off WCHA as a Peterborough mid-1940's canoe - with much advise from Geoffry Burke on "boat soup" to help seals the many, many leaks. I need to take to the water to see if all sealed - 4 coats of boat soup and 6 coats of varnish both inner and outer hull. However, I don't know if a mid-1940's or if a Peterborough. As I searched through the canoe museum articles on Peterborough and web info, it seems that this may be a much earlier "paddling" canoe - maybe, Peterborough but not certain.
Please see photos. It does have 5/8 half round ribs and inner lapped planking along with 2"inch rib separation. It does have what appears to be cherry decks.
Before I post for sale, I would like to have a bit of accurate information - hence, coming to the experts!
thanks in advance for any and all information.
joe

Attachments

• 1940s Peterborough Canadien 1427 (8).JPG
    1940s Peterborough Canadien 1427 (8).JPG
    410.8 KB · Views: 216
  • 1940s Peterborough Canadien 1427 (44).JPG
    1940s Peterborough Canadien 1427 (44).JPG
    436 KB · Views: 225
  • 1940s Peterborough Canadien 1427 (45).JPG
    1940s Peterborough Canadien 1427 (45).JPG
    401.1 KB · Views: 233
  • 1940s Peterborough Canadien 1427 (53).JPG
    1940s Peterborough Canadien 1427 (53).JPG
    406.6 KB · Views: 210
Cant help with ID, but that is a beauty. I have one just like it on my "someday" restoration plans. Mine is all painted green (inside and out) so lots of work to strip it all off and do the needed repairs "someday" when I have time.

It was out of my wheel-house but, after much work, did come out beautiful. I may go back and pull the brass stem guard as the original seemed to be steel. Also, I may cut a pair of floor boards to help protect the inside when is use. I am trying to locate basswood with dimensions 1" x 8" (full 8 inches) x 11ft. I will then laminate to 1/4". Well, if I don't have it sold before I do the changes. Have 6 other canoes in need of attention:)

Jam,

Have you reached out to Dick Persson of Buckhorn Canoe? http://www.buckhorncanoes.com
Dick has done extensive research into the local Peterborough canoe manufacturers in pursuit of his restorations and may be able to offer assistance in identifying and dating. Or he may be able to steer you in the right direction...

I work in a provincial government building built on the location of the former Peterborough Canoe factory and get a daily reminder of its former industrial use: a Peterborough similar to yours hangs over the main entrance!
Your restoration is stunning.

Cheers1
Bruce

Back