"Canadian Pickers" tv show featuring Dick Persson, Roger Young and old wooden canoes

Roger Young

display sample collector
For those who may be interested, the current episode of "Canadian Pickers" (History Channel) features a visit by Scott and Sheldon to my home to view decoys and model canoes and kayaks, followed by a stop at Dick Persson's shop, Buckhorn Canoe Co., where they look over several antique full-size canoes and learn a little of the area's canoe history. If you don't receive the program in your area, you can watch the video on-line at: http://www.history.ca/canadianpicke...ye+spy/video.html?v=2298115851&p=1&s=dd#video. Both Dick and I had fun doing the show and hope you will enjoy it as well.

Roger

same for me in Indiana

Sorry to hear you are not able to access the on-line version. Must be something to do with regulation of the tv broadcasts or Internet access between the countries. Not something I have any control over, and I'm certainly surprised and dismayed to learn of this. Perhaps we can find some other means of bootlegging a copy your way.

There is a link posted on both Dick's and my Facebook page, and Can. Pickers have their own Facebook page with links to the program, but I guess that's still no help.

Maybe we are banned simply because we don't use enough of the Handyman's Secret Weapon...

Probably so...only 4 pages of hits on a search on this site.
Unlike our snowbound Northern peers we relegate it as a repair tool.
We need to think more out of the box.
Who needs canvas, filler or paint when the Secret Weapon can do it all.
We see the light. Open the borders.

Last edited:
Yes, we get American Pickers on our Canadian stations all the time (just finished watching their latest episode), and Pawn Stars, even Cajun Pawn Stars; lots of US programs, including all the major US networks and some smaller ones. Maybe the US Border Patrol thought our Can. Pickers program was subversive and included "war canoes" (it didn't, but Dicks old Peterborough looked pretty mean). Maybe it was because we just had a big re-enactment celebration of the War of 1812. Who knows???

1812 anniversary and Manifest Destiny are the likely culprits!;) Though that doesnt account for Michiganders taking our accent....

I had same issue when trying to view a different show produced in Canada, (Brian and Brian or something, canoeing). Can do and see everything but watch an actual episode. Very frustrating to say the least. Some of the Canadian broadcasting looks to be interesting, but no, can't watch that. We get interesting/educational programming like Swamp men, Extreme loggers, Billy the exterminator etc. Insert eyeroll here. Sigh.

Well, I wrote to Canadian Pickers and asked "WHY" US residents were not allowed to access even the on-line video of the program, even if they don't receive programs over their tv's. Here is the answer I received:

"Unfortunately, Shaw has the content restricted to Canada only on their
site. No one in the U.S. is airing the show yet, so it won't be available
online to Americans on the History site.

Thanks,
Canadian Pickers Team"

So, it seems that Shaw TV, the owners of the program, won't provide access until some network in the US picks up the broadcasting rights. Maybe would-be US viewers could lobby your US stations and/or networks to purchase some broadcast rights. Or. maybe you guys can lobby/complain to Shaw directly at: www.Shaw.ca.

Sorry you are not able to enjoy some of our programming. That's the best explanation I have at the moment.
Roger

i watched some episodes here in boston on history channel, they changed the name to cash cowboys though, they aired 4 episodes 1 sturday like 3 weeks ago

Never ran into this problem before: Canadian Pickers episodes are available on YouTube, but not without installing some coupon-related software into the computer! My computer warned me about this, so I uninstalled the thing... I didn't have it long enough to see an episode of the Pickers but long enough to get WalMart popups. I've experienced ads on YouTube but not the sort of thing that downloads something and fills the entire screen with an ad!

Back