Can-U.F.O. Help

Canoez

Paddle Bait
I received a phone call about a week ago letting me know that a friend was disposing of an old unknown canoe that he was planning to restore. Here it is upside-down on the car:

8x4ndx.jpg
I'm looking for a bit more information on what this actually is in terms of maker and model so that I can do an appropriate restoration of the boat. It's in fair shape and has typical rot , broken ribs and the like. There's also some "aftermarket mods" by previous owners. Here's what I know:

She's about 16' long and 34" wide at her widest point and about 12" deep amidships with a shallow-arch hull form and a sweeping sheer. She's got a single, very plain thwart (rectangular piece of stock - very plain - probably a replacement of the original) that is under-mounted to the inwale. The boat may have spread some. Location seems original from what I can tell at the moment. Decks are deeply heart-shaped and make me think it may be a Rushton. This shot is the stern deck and the iron strap appears to be a later addition. There is only the one seat rail and it was hung from screws through the inwale, not mortised into it.
3312hld.jpg

It's a closed-gunwale boat, but the cap strip on the gunwale seems to be a later repair as it was installed with steel fasteners rather than bronze. most if not all of what appear to be original fasteners are relatively small straight-slotted flat-head screws. There is also an outer stem of sorts that is rounded over that caps the planking and the inner stem - it was made from cedar and was under the canvas.
vzebr9.jpg

At the bow, there are three widely spaced cant ribs.
200d441.jpg

Aft of the bow deck there appears to have been some sort of carry handle that was mortised into the top of the inwale and captured by the cap strip. It no longer exists.

I have so far been unable to find any maker's marks, tags, decals or the like and I'm sure they were painted over at a previous restoration if they existed. I've also found no serial numbers.
Any thoughts on what she is and what she should look like?

Back