Can I get the build sheet for an Old Town Yankee please?

Brian J Knudsen

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Hello,

I'm new to the forum. I just acquired what I believe is a 16' Yankee OT with serial #133821. Can I get a copy of the build sheet? I'm excited to get it restored to its original condition. Thank you for any information you can provide.

Brian Knudsen

Fantastic. Thank you. Follow up question. The canoe has machine made caned seats which makes me think that the seats were replaced at some point. If I post pictures of the boat would folks be able to tell me what other parts they think may have been replaced? For example, the thwarts could be oak. I don't think they are the same wood as the gunwales. Also, I the gunwales are beautiful in areas and I wonder if they are still the original spruce or another wood.

Your canoe was probably built with machine made cane seats. These first appeared in canoes with serial numbers in the 128xxx range. See http://www.wcha.org/forums/index.php?threads/8493/ for more details. Your canoe originally had ash thwarts and spruce gunwales. Good pictures of the grain may help identify the woods if you aren't sure. Good luck,

Benson

Pictures are not always definitive, especially when trying to identify wood -- but it certainly wouldn't hurt anything to post a few pictures (close-up is best for wood id).

The original ash thwarts, seats, and decks would certainly look different than the original spruce gunwales. Ash, being open-grained, can sometimes look similar to oak, especially if the wood and/or varnish has darkened with age.

Back