Can anyone help me identify this canoe?

Goldenbadger

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I just tried to post this, but I got an error. So if it shows up twice, please forgive me. I was given this canoe as a gift. It was originally wood/canvas, but it was re-done and the canvas was replaced with fiberglass. Can anyone give me more information on it? I cannot find any identifying marks like names/numbers.

Attachments

• IMG_0437.jpg
    IMG_0437.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 351
Is there anything under the decks running from one side to the other? This can help identify this canoe. There are folks on this forum that can quickly ID a Thompson or Shell Lake. I am sure some one will respond today. MackyM

Thank you, Dan! After closer inspection, I did find a serial # tag. It is brass and says 116 60. I will contact the Washburn County Historical Museum and see if they can tell me more. I'm hoping they still have those records. I want to have it restored back to canvas. It was re-done many years ago with fiberglass. it is in very good shape for the most part. A couple ribs are broken and a plank or two as well. The rear seat is missing. The very ends of the stern and bow also need work and one of the decks is cracked. I hope the restoration doesn't cost me an arm and a leg. I would love to do it myself, but I know NOTHING about doing so.

Another question - I read that the "deluxe" models had half ribs and had serial numbers starting with #s like 1116. Well, mine has half ribs but the serial number starts in 116 like their "guide" models. Now, I am very new to this wooden boat world and its terminology. Does my canoe have true half-ribs?
IMG_0422.jpg

The Shell Lake canoe with serial number 116 60 is shown in the first volume of the Shell Lake ledgers. This was assigned to a 16 foot long Deluxe model. It shipped to Cedar Falls, Iowa. in 1942.

The scan of this build record can be found by following the link at the attached thumbnail image below. These original Shell Lake records are reproduced through the courtesy of the Washburn County Historical Society Museum.

s-166-60.jpg

The pictures of these records were created with substantial efforts from Barry Christenson and the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA). A description of a project to preserve other records like these can be found at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/about-wcha to learn more about the WCHA and http://www.wcha.org/store/membership to join.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match the canoe. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Benson

I don't know at lot about these canoes/kayaks. As far as I know, they were a kit boat -- canvas-on-frame -- from the 1950's or 1960's. All of the trim (around the cockpit and the edge of the deck) is Philippine mahogany (luan) and sparkles when it is refinished.

Back