Build sheet request for OT #154488

mmmalmberg

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Just took delivery of my grandfather's OTCA and would love to see if the build sheet is available for it. It's kind of pretty clean with original canvas and varnish both needing replaced, tips coming apart, no broken ribs but one split... the only damage from abuse appears to be very recent so I think from shipping or loading for shipping. Pictures forthcoming! Thanks for any info:)

Congratulations, the Old Town canoe with serial number 154488 is an 18 foot long, AA (or top) grade, HW (Heavy Water) model with red western cedar planking, open mahogany gunwales, half ribs, a keel, a floor rack, and a bang plate along the full length of the keel. It was built between June, 1950 and May, 1951. The original exterior paint was fire red. It shipped on May 21st, 1951 to New Rochelle, New York. A scan showing this build record can be found by following the link at the attached thumbnail image below.

154488.jpg

This scan and several hundred thousand more were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will donate, join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/about-wcha to learn more about the WCHA and http://www.wcha.org/store/membership to join.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match your canoe. Canoes with a family connection are always extra special. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Benson

Well you're right, that doesn't describe this canoe. Interesting. It's a 17' sailing OTCA as far as I know. I'll measure and check for an additional serial number. It's also green and I doubt my grandfather would have bought red if he wanted green:) p.s. yes I did join and donate:) Thanks!

On one end it looks clearly like 154488, but looking at the serial number on the other end, either of the 8's could be 3's.
See last two pics here: http://www.markmalmberg.com/canoe

Also I may not have mentioned there is the number 17 confirming the 17' length (which I forgot to measure:)

I think it's like one of those priceless double-stamped coins:) A different serial number on each end. Could be someone grabbed 8's thinking they were 3's, or vice versa.

This is a better match. The Old Town canoe with serial number 154433 is a 17 foot long, CS (Common Sense or middle) grade, Otca model with open spruce gunwales, a keel, and outside stems. It was built between June, 1950 and September, 1951. The original exterior paint color was dark green. It shipped on April 24th, 1952 to Sharon, Pennsylvania. The sail rig is not mentioned but those were commonly added later. A scan showing this build record can be found by following the link at the attached thumbnail image below.

154433.jpg

Good luck with the restoration,

Benson

Last edited:
That's the one! I was observing that all the sail rigging appears to be home-made. But the seat looks somewhat original (not that I've seen another!) but could have been added as well. Thanks so much!

Thats a great photo of you and your brother. That along with it being your grandfathers makes it all worth while!!!
Considering I've seen the same canoe in great shape, locally, for a third of what I'll have in this one, I'm holding dearly to that sentiment:)

The information at https://www.wcha.org/forums/index.php?threads/57/ may help if value is a concern. Dave Osborn's quote from there may apply in this situation. "Your canoe, properly restored and cared for, would serve as a really cool canoe to use and pass on for generations...that is priceless." I also have an Otca that belonged to my grandfather as shown in my avatar with much more into it than it is worth. Some things are valued in other ways,

Benson

Last edited:
The information at https://www.wcha.org/forums/index.php?threads/57/ may help if value is a concern. Dave Osborn's quote from there may apply in this situation. "Your canoe, properly restored and cared for, would serve as a really cool canoe to use and pass on for generations...that is priceless." I also have an Otca that belonged to my grandfather as shown in my avatar with much more into it than it is worth. Some things are valued in other ways,

Benson
Thanks - yes I definitely believe this, and it's why I'm getting into this. I'm teetering on the edge of doing this build myself; my father built his own sailboats (starting when he was 12!) and built one in the 50's that we all sailed for many many years, a 17' centerboard boat, glassed 1/4" plywood. A friend still has that boat. I believe he probably made the sailing gear for this canoe; he made his own sails as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do it yourself, you're in the right place. It looks like you have a proper place to do the work. I find it rewarding to restore things like this. Plus if you know how to fix it then you'll be able to take care of it when it's done.

Benson
That's a beautiful canoe. I love the special-order patterns especially the one on yours, gorgeous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone sure had fun doing those designs, and they are so directly tied to the Deco period (presumably these designs were created in maybe the late 20's).

I guess there's no law against it if I wanted to paint mine based on one of these or my own interpretation thereof. I talked to one builder who uses laser-cut vinyl but I think I'd paint mine. The downside being maintaining the artwork...

I guess there's no law against it if I wanted to paint mine based on one of these or my own interpretation thereof.

There surely is no law against painting design of your choice on your canoe, whether one of the classic designs on the Old Town chart, or a variation on one of those designs, or a completely original design. Your avatar shows that your own family did a little design work. I think part of the fun of having a canoe is showing it off by adding a bit of visual flair --

Two triangle designs, along side the Old Town design number 4 which inspired them:
sm cr triangle bows2.jpg

Some other designs seen on the lawn at various WCHA summer assemblies -- simple, complex, pictorial, whimsical, and traditional:
ss 100_5718.JPG
ssm 100_5284.JPG
ss cr IMG_0276.JPG
ss c IMG_0287.JPG
ssmIMG_0214.JPG
ssm IMG_0217.JPG

sm 100_5437.jpg

These are only a small sample of the decorative schemes that some WCHA members have on their canoes. Some are replicas or restorations of the original design on the canoe; many are new and unique designs painted when the canoe was restored.

So if you decide to decorate yur canoe, you should certainly feel free to use any design that inspires you.

Back