Bubbles

mmmalmberg

LOVES Wooden Canoes
I have a can of green Old Town paint from the 70's that appeared to be absolutely new - the metal clips on, no paint anywhere other than inside the can, etc. Stirring it up I found it very thin, like spraying consistency. When I brush it, it immediately forms tiny bubbles all over. Even the stir stick gets them.

I've run it through paint strainers multiple times. This morning I even tried sticking it in a vaccum to see if I could pull any gasses out of it (nothing).

Anyone encountered this and, did Old Town ever provide paint in a ready-to-spray dilution?

IMG_2221.jpg

Did you try dry brushing to get rid of the bubbles? May not help but worth a try. Looks like something very strange is going on.

Did you try dry brushing to get rid of the bubbles? May not help but worth a try. Looks like something very strange is going on.
Yeah, I'm brushing only, not spraying or rolling. I've tried different types of brushes, they don't go away. At this point I'm just trying to paint a decent sample to send to someone to match. But haven't tried spraying which might actually work better, don't know.

It's not bubbly in the can and like I said I even pulled a vacuum on it and no bubbles surfaced. But regardless of what I brush it onto it ends up covered with these little bubbles.

The stuff is 50 years old so who knows what organic process might have happened, something must have broken down, I was thinking maybe it absorbed moisture or something over that time.

I have had bubbles like that. I find that they go away and level out on their own. Also, they are gone if I tip the paint after rolling it on. You used a brush tho so I suspect you may have some pigment on the bottom of the can or the paint is just too thin.

It’s well stirred, just thin. The bubbles dry just like that and they don’t brush out. I may try spraying it, but first order of business is to find a good match in new paint…

I've had the issue with the same paint/same color. I tossed the can as I thought it was something in the paint itself. Also, when I painted over it with new epifanes paint the new paint would not cover the location of the previous bubbles in places. The paint disperses the tiny area where the bubbles were. I have no explanation but I can tell you I won't use old paint again like that. The old OT paint had beautiful qualities but I had the same issue but in much less quantity than you.

That's actually good information - thanks. The only thing I have it on so far are paddles so if I have to I can just sand it all off, as my plan was indeed to find a match for the color to use on the canoe and to paint over the bubbles on the paddles!

Back