Bob Special Dream

Mud Bug

Hand made things are better
It was a nice day yesterday--sunny and 40 with no wind--so I put my little Chestnut on the crick to see some wildlife and get a refresher. (I saw lotsa waterfowl and deer, included a three-legged one.) This canoe's still new to me (June) so I'm still amazed every time I put it in the water. I cannot get over how well it handles solo. Rock it up on its side, and it's the most maneuverable canoe I've ever paddled--spins right around on it's center for turning or goes in a straight line without any noticeable J-stroke. Then it's a one-man lift outa the water and onto my shoulders. Just a dream.

There's an Old Town 50 pound model for sale a couple hours away. That's a model my dad's always wanted. The pictures don't show the curve of the bottom or the rocker. Does anyone know if this model is as flat as the other Old Towns? How about rocker? Wondering how it'd compare to the Bob design. I think two of the great features of the Bob is its width, letting it turn easily on that broader center (though that's lessened tilted up, of course) and it's tumblehome, for better tilting. Not sure if Old Town did that on their 50 or not.

Thank you, Benson. The Old Town 50 pounder's pretty flat all right. I doubt it'd handle much at all like my Chestnut. But you're right--a body needs to try it to know. Thanks again.

Is there an illustration that compares the shape of the Bob's Special to other Chestnut models?

This is the closest Chestnut came to portraying canoe model shapes.

Attachments

• Chestnut_Models_1978.jpg
    Chestnut_Models_1978.jpg
    442.7 KB · Views: 171
Here is more on the Chestnut models by George Birch, himself, circa 1977

Attachments

• Birch on Canoes.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 183
Reactions: MGC
Back