BN Morris or Kennebec "Hybrid"?

Todd F

Lifetime Member
Just returned from a 14 hour round trip to acquire a canoe that I find very interesting. I have read threads of how Kennebec may have relied upon BN Morris to build hulls using splayed stems and Kennebec finished them out. The seller recalled very little except memories of over 65 years ago when his old uncles would take him sailing in the canoe in PA. I have it on good authority the sailing system is cobbled together and will do research to become more informed.

I will post photos tomorrow but the basics are as follows: @17' 3" in length not including outer stems, @33" in width not including outer gunwales, both decks 24" long, 3 cant ribs at each end, @12" depth, noticeably flat hull with tumblehome, tapered ribs, open gunwales, outer gunwales resemble an elongated letter D. No tell tales of a tag on the port side near the first rib. Attached tag looks to have 4 numbers (possibly ?582).

Again, will post pics soonest. Appreciate any thoughts as I unravel this. Stem Tag.jpeg

Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing photos of the rest of the canoe. Sounds like a nice one. What makes you think this one may be linked to Kennebec? So far it sounds like a Morris, and there is plenty of room there for 5 digits, so look at the tag carefully, perhaps after putting a little paint stripper on it.

Last edited:
I was wondering about the stripper. Looks like loads of varnish and age. Can't tell it the numbers are etched / stamped or perhaps painted on in some manner. Will get a better look in the morning. Nothing specific at this time ref Kennebec but it is stylistically different from a BN Morris I took a hard look at in CT recently.

The digits are stamped into the plate so stripper won't harm them at all. There are a variety of Morris styles, some of which are strikingly different from others. Differences include stem profiles, sheer profiles, deck shapes and lengths, thwart styles, serial number plate styles and shapes, plate location and orientation, seat construction, floor rack styles and more. This variety is one of the things that makes Morris canoes so interesting. Another is that all (in my experience) are very well constructed. You'll enjoy learning more about this one.

There has been a great deal of information published on Morris in recent years. These forums contain a wealth of helpful discussions. And Kathy Klos' Morris biography includes a great deal of information. See:

https://www.amazon.com/Morris-Canoe-Legacy-American-Family/dp/1492746916

Kathy has also written a number of articles on Morris in the Wooden Canoe journal. Also in the journal, Howard Herman-Haas has written several exhaustive pieces that provide deep analyses of Morris' canoe evolution through time. Dan Miller's online Wooden Canoe Museum has a great deal of information gleaned from Kathy's work and others, catalog pages and his own experience:

https://woodencanoemuseum.org/builder-history/b-n-morris

Note that while all these resources are very helpful, probably no one resource has all the information in one place, especially where details are concerned. So consult a variety of sources, and of course post more here for helpful discussions.

Last edited:
Benson, I know I will get alot of valuable input once I get some pics up etc. Will look to get Kathys book ref BN Morris, looks to be a defining publication, and it will help me tremendously. I will keep reaching out to Dan Miller for his expertise as well. Really excited to see what the WCHA community things of what I am working on.

Do post up some images but it sounds like you have a "typical" Morris long deck canoe in your possession.
I love how the screws are perfectly clocked on the painter ring.
I think (based upon your description) that you may find two more digits on the SN plate.
From the information provided, it is likely a model A, type 3.
These are great canoes. We have always enjoyed paddling ours....

I have read threads of how Kennebec may have relied upon BN Morris to build hulls using splayed stems and Kennebec finished them out.

That was a theory for a long time but the research at https://www.wcha.org/forums/index.php?threads/3971/ and other sources makes that seem less likely. It looks like you have found a nice Morris. I agree with Michael and MGC that there are probably more than three digits in the serial number. Good luck with the restoration,

Benson

Thanks Benson, that is a great and informative resource!

MGC, I think you are correct...1913 Model A Type 3, however...I dont see evidence of a former grate / floorboard or a top to the gunwales...yet. Just starting to clean off many years of dust and crud. Every rib look intact, minor plank damage, stem tips and ends of decks going to need work.

This one has a keel (screwed on from the inside), outer stems (screwed on from the outside), and a full length brass stem band.

Back