Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Black Pearl ( A Composite Build

Discussion in 'Strippers, Stitch-n-Glue, and Other Wood Composite' started by Jim Dodd, Nov 25, 2018.

  1. Jim Dodd

    Jim Dodd LOVES Wooden Canoes

    This Summer I used my solo stripper build ( Pearl ) as a male mold for a Carbon/Kevlar composite build. I named this canoe Black Pearl.
    Here's a few pics.
    Covering the stripper with Heat Shrink plastic, and the stems with Electricians tape, as a barrier between the two hulls.
    [​IMG]
    Marking where to cut the Kevlar.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    At this point, I have 3 layers of cloth make up the hull. One 5 oz Kevlar, one 6 oz Twill Carbon fiber, and one 6 oz S-glass,
    [​IMG]
    I just finished epoxying in a 1/8" WRC wood insert to add a little more stiffness.
    [​IMG]

    Last pic. I closed the ends with epoxy saturated Polyester sweat shirt fleece. This will not only hold the stems together, but will serve as a Skid plate if I wear through the Kevlar/ Carbon/S-glass layers.
    I will add one more layer of cloth over the wood insert. Then flotation chambers and trim. As she sits now Black Pearl weighs 20 lbs 7 oz.
    [​IMG]

    Jim
     
  2. Dan Lindberg

    Dan Lindberg Ex Wood Hoarder

    Very nice Jim, looking forward to seeing it finished. (and on the water)
     
  3. OP
    OP
    Jim Dodd

    Jim Dodd LOVES Wooden Canoes

    Me Too ! Thanks Dan

    Jim
     
  4. mccloud

    mccloud Wooden Canoe Maniac

    [QUOTE="Jim Dodd, post: 80279, Covering the stripper with Heat Shrink plastic.]

    Jim, Could you give us the details about this heat shrink plastic barrier. I could use some if I knew what it was. Tom McCloud
     
  5. OP
    OP
    Jim Dodd

    Jim Dodd LOVES Wooden Canoes

    The heat shrink plastic I used is the kind you cover your windows with.

    It shrinks up a little, not as much as I'd like, but it's worked for me.

    The hulls lift right off ! I had one that had a little pin hole, and it still pulled off without any effort.

    The only problem, I've had, is getting the plastic to suck up tight in the tumblehome area. I solve this by wetting out one side at a time, and tilting the canoe to one side. I added some encouragement with clamps and a strip of plastic, even a few squeegees. It works !

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
    Jim
     

Share This Page