Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Black Pearl ( A Composite Build

Discussion in 'Strippers, Stitch-n-Glue, and Other Wood Composite' started by Jim Dodd, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Jim Dodd

Jim Dodd LOVES Wooden Canoes

This Summer I used my solo stripper build ( Pearl ) as a male mold for a Carbon/Kevlar composite build. I named this canoe Black Pearl.
    Here's a few pics.
    Covering the stripper with Heat Shrink plastic, and the stems with Electricians tape, as a barrier between the two hulls.
    [​IMG]
    Marking where to cut the Kevlar.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    At this point, I have 3 layers of cloth make up the hull. One 5 oz Kevlar, one 6 oz Twill Carbon fiber, and one 6 oz S-glass,
    [​IMG]
    I just finished epoxying in a 1/8" WRC wood insert to add a little more stiffness.
    [​IMG]

Last pic. I closed the ends with epoxy saturated Polyester sweat shirt fleece. This will not only hold the stems together, but will serve as a Skid plate if I wear through the Kevlar/ Carbon/S-glass layers.
    I will add one more layer of cloth over the wood insert. Then flotation chambers and trim. As she sits now Black Pearl weighs 20 lbs 7 oz.
    [​IMG]

Jim

2. Dan Lindberg

Dan Lindberg Ex Wood Hoarder

Very nice Jim, looking forward to seeing it finished. (and on the water)

3. OP
    OP
    Jim Dodd

Me Too ! Thanks Dan

Jim

4. mccloud

mccloud Wooden Canoe Maniac

[QUOTE="Jim Dodd, post: 80279, Covering the stripper with Heat Shrink plastic.]

Jim, Could you give us the details about this heat shrink plastic barrier. I could use some if I knew what it was. Tom McCloud

5. OP
    OP
    Jim Dodd

The heat shrink plastic I used is the kind you cover your windows with.

It shrinks up a little, not as much as I'd like, but it's worked for me.

The hulls lift right off ! I had one that had a little pin hole, and it still pulled off without any effort.

The only problem, I've had, is getting the plastic to suck up tight in the tumblehome area. I solve this by wetting out one side at a time, and tilting the canoe to one side. I added some encouragement with clamps and a strip of plastic, even a few squeegees. It works !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Jim