Bent stem Old Town Model A

handy

Curious about Wooden Canoes
20220303_155300.jpg
20220303_155516.jpg
20220303_155300.jpg
20220303_155516.jpg
I am rebuilding a 1948 Old Town Model HW. The front stem is bent or racked. I don't know what to do about that. I was thinking of just leaving it as-is. This is just going to be a knock around canoe not a beauty queen.

Attachments

• 20220303_155430.jpg
    20220303_155430.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
I'm not sure what you are asking. Your last attached picture appears to show a slight bend to the left at the top of the stem. This is not likely to be a significant issue but if it annoys you then repair or replace it. The 16 foot long canoe from 1948 that you asked about at https://www.wcha.org/forums/index.php?threads/18051/ is an HW model. If this is the same canoe then why are you are describing it as an "Old Town Model A" now? Let me know if I am missing something.

Benson

I prefer to repair stems that have a twist to them. It's not a terribly complicated job to splice in a new (and straight) section. What we can't see is what else is going on with the inside rails and decks that allow the stem to sit off to the side.
With the planking off and a straighter stem you will be able to true thing up as you put them back together. With everything straightened up things will line up better when you reinstall the stem bands.

I'm not sure what you are asking. Your last attached picture appears to show a slight bend to the left at the top of the stem. This is not likely to be a significant issue but if it annoys you then repair or replace it. The 16 foot long canoe from 1948 that you asked about at https://www.wcha.org/forums/index.php?threads/18051/ is an HW model. If this is the same canoe then why are you are describing it as an "Old Town Model A" now? Let me know if I am missing something.

Benson

Benson Thank you for your response, you are absolutely correct that is the 1948 HW I am working at three canoes at once and I got confused. I think MGC answered my question about repairing the stem.

Last edited:
I prefer to repair stems that have a twist to them. It's not a terribly complicated job to splice in a new (and straight) section. What we can't see is what else is going on with the inside rails and decks that allow the stem to sit off to the side.
With the planking off and a straighter stem you will be able to true thing up as you put them back together. With everything straightened up things will line up better when you reinstall the stem bands.

Thank you very much for your response . I hadn't thought of repairing it as opposed to replacing it but I do like that option much better as replacing a straight section is relatively easy

Thank you very much for your response . I hadn't thought of repairing it as opposed to replacing it but I do like that option much better as replacing a straight section is relatively easy
This thread should be of interest to you. 1935 Old Town HW | WCHA Forums
There are quite few ways to do the splice....if I recall, there was a Rollin Thurlow post about his method not too long ago.

The "Old Town Model A" name is a recent speculation with no supporting documentation. I suspect that the build record and period catalog page for your other canoe simply describes the model as an Otca. This is thought to have been based on the cable address or telegraph code shown at the top of their letterhead during this era as shown at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/records/letterhd.jpg for example. Sorry for the rant,

Benson

The "Old Town Model A" name is a recent speculation with no supporting documentation. I suspect that the build record and period catalog page for your other canoe simply describes the model as an Otca. This is thought to have been based on the cable address or telegraph code shown at the top of their letterhead during this era as shown at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/records/letterhd.jpg for example. Sorry for the rant,

Benson

Oh thank you that puts it into perspective I thought Otca ment a Model A...

Back