Beavers

Craig Johnson

Lifetime member
Went for an early morning paddle at my local State Park. Got closer to a beaver than usual, I guess because he didn't want to lose his snack. When he finally splashed and dived he was so close that he soaked me and the camera.
P9210052.jpg P9210056.jpg P9210061.jpg P9210062.jpg P9210069.jpg P9210078.jpg P9210087.jpg P9210091.jpg

I enjoy seeing beaver. It is a good indicator of wild country. I enjoy seeing otter even more. I like when a group of them swim around the boat.
A few years ago on a raft trip in Oregon, a mink and an otter surfaced at the same time right next to my paddle. It was like a window into the wild having those eyes staring back at me.

Twenty years ago, on the Klamath River in CA, my brother brought his Dachshund along on a raft trip. We floated past a whole family of otters on shore and they were very upset by the dog's appearance and chastised him for being on their river. Later Dieter Bob, got pitched out of the boat and swam a Class III. Later he chased a bear out of camp with back up from my two cow dogs.

Back