Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

1. target-panic

target-panic New Member

My dad ran across this in the back of a truck in a neighbors back yard. He believes he can get it for next to nothing. Any idea what it is? He said it's only 10 or 12 foot, and had a single seat. Should I grab it?

Attached Files:

2. Benson Gray

Benson Gray Canoe History Enthusiast Staff Member

Welcome, it appears to be a home made, strip built canoe. Grab it if you want to go paddling but the resale value tends to be exceptionally low since they are not easy to repair. Good luck,

Benson

3. Jim Dodd

Jim Dodd LOVES Wooden Canoes

Looks like a Lot of work ! Might make a better Book Shelf, or Flower pot !
    I'd be more inclined to build from Scratch, and you would have what you wanted ! If you build them, you can fix them !

Jim

Kent E. Nord likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    target-panic

target-panic New Member

Here are a few more pics...

I might give it a try this winter, I have a large heated garage, and plenty of time in the evenings.

I would like to build one from scratch someday. This may give me a little bit of knowledge, even if what not to do, and some hands on experience.

IMG_2989.JPG IMG_2991.JPG IMG_2992.JPG IMG_2993.JPG IMG_2990.JPG

5. Todd Bradshaw

Todd Bradshaw Sailmaker

Are you aware that un-building, fixing and rebuilding one is harder technically and also more work than building one from scratch? What's more, after all that work you'll still usually end up with a pretty crappy boat. Thinking that fixing up an abused and heavily damaged stripper as a way to becoming a strip builder is a mistake made all too often by beginning builders.

6. Andre Cloutier

Andre Cloutier Firestarter. Wicked Firestarter.

Looks like a strip built version of Rollins Whisper. Still, I'd pass on this one like Todd recommends.

7. Gary Willoughby

Gary Willoughby Boat Builder

I would say go for it not that you bad will learn a lot. Value when done not much. Any canoe is worth saving.

8. OP
    OP
    target-panic

target-panic New Member

Thanks to all that replied!

It's at my Dad's house right now, so I haven't put my hands on it yet. We'll see once I get into it. It may still end up as a bookshelf.

It does look a lot in shape like this model though.... mine is 9'8" x 37"

IMG_2994.jpg