Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Any help identifying please?

Discussion in 'Research and History' started by Gary, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Gary

Gary Canoe Grampa

Serial # of 45886 16, or 45986 16?
    Thanks, Gary

Attached Files:

2. Benson Gray

Benson Gray Canoe History Enthusiast Staff Member

My guess is that the build record for your canoe is shown at https://www.wcha.org/forums/index.php?threads/5880/ from a previous request. The wooden seats shown in your picture would not have been on a canoe in the 45xxx range. The one with serial number 145886 is 17 feet long so that isn't a good match. Let me know if this doesn't answer your question.

Benson

3. Andre Cloutier

Andre Cloutier Firestarter. Wicked Firestarter.

Looks like someone is surfing Kijiji Ottawa - not a lot of Old Towns up here! Only ever run across 3 or 4 all this time..

4. OP
    OP
    Gary

Gary Canoe Grampa

Ha Andre you caught me. I'm not actually looking as I have enough to keep me busy for awhile but when I see an older one cheap like that, I worry some predator will snatch it up and cut it half for shelves arghh! Turns out the seller is a WCHA member and we agreed on a price so I'll pick it up this week. It will hang in the rafters for a bit as I have a couple ahead of it. I'll post some more pictures when I get it.

Turns out Benson's serial number estimate was bang on as usual, "The one with number 145986 is a 16 foot long, CS (Common Sense or middle) grade, HW (Heavy Water) model with open spruce gunwales, ash decks, ash trim, and a keel. It was built between July and September, 1946." That is the canoe I just bought.

Cheers, Gary

5. Andre Cloutier

Andre Cloutier Firestarter. Wicked Firestarter.

good stuff! im off the restorations unless they are super rare or significant, the lack of methylene chloride has done me in - none of the new strippers ive tried are worth a damn, and ive never found a furniture refinisher willing or able to do a canoe

6. walt

walt Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes

Have a good look at Rehbein's canoes cuz that's what I thought when I saw the pics, although how it got here from Duluth is anyone's guess!

7. OP
    OP
    Gary

Gary Canoe Grampa

I picked this canoe up today from Austin, fellow WCHA member, very nice guy, gave me a great deal. Canoe is in reasonably good shape, it will hang in my shop until next summer when I hope to get to restoring it. Looking forward to getting it back on the water!
    Gary

8. Dan Lindberg

Dan Lindberg Ex Wood Hoarder

Not a Rehbein. Here's a few pics showing the seats, deck and profile.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      94.9 KB
      Views:
    • 014.JPG
      014.JPG
      File size:
      249.1 KB
      Views:
    • 017.JPG
      017.JPG
      File size:
      226.8 KB
      Views:
  9. OP
    OP
    Gary

Gary Canoe Grampa

The build sheet above, that Benson provided is a match for this canoe, the seats have been replaced during a past restoration so are not original. Old Town CS HW 16' previously dark green, even has a full set of the diamond head bolts. The last Old Town I did these had been removed.

10. Dan Lindberg

Dan Lindberg Ex Wood Hoarder

11. walt

walt Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes

Thanks Dan...I was going by memory (old and failing it appears) and the seats and decks looked a lot more Rehbein than OT. Good to have some photo reference now, thanks again for clarifying!

12. Dave Osborn

Dave Osborn LIFE MEMBER

When cane was unavailable during the war years they made slat seats.