Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Another outdoor storage question

Discussion in 'Traditional All-Wood Construction' started by Don, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Don

Don Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes

I want to store a canoe in my backyard here in Maryland. The primary issue would probably be ultraviolet light and other problems associated with the outdoors, cold not being a major factor. Building a small shed or roof will probably not be possible, due to community association restrictions!:( I have seen UV protective covers on the market. Any advice on how to do it, plus ideas on securing the canoe by means of locks, cables, etc.? Most appreciative,

Don

2. myospinae

myospinae Curious about Wooden Canoes

I asked this question on a swedish forum and one idea was to build a box where the canoe could be stored. The box could be placed on a pair of sawhorses. This way it may not be so obviousely likely to steal since it´s kind of "invincible". There should´nt be any restrictions (I think?) since it´s removable and not permably attached. If it seems like a lot of work maybe you could build a kind of skin-on-frame-box with a tarp as skin? Some ventilation required in the box. I was also thinking of building a roof which you easy could hook/unhook from the wall, removable (therefor maybe legal?).

3. Ric Altfather

Ric Altfather WCHA #4035

Have you looked into one of those sling & pulley rigs that will snug the canoe right up to the roof rafters in the garage? Seems that would be a better answer than trying to work through the Association.

Ric

4. Benson Gray

Benson Gray Canoe History Enthusiast Staff Member

I suspend my canoes from the rafters in my garage as Ric suggested. A tarp or awning on the side of a building can be another good solution. These are usually considered temporary so they may not be a regulatory problem. A cable or chain through the thwarts and seats that is locked to the building will discourage most thieves. Good luck,

Benson

5. OP
    OP
    Don

Don Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes

no garage!

Unfortunately, I don't have a garage. The box idea sounds interesting since I don't want to leave the boat in the open. I have thought of getting new windows in the basement to fit a kayak through, but no way could a 17' Otca get through there.

6. peter osberg

peter osberg LOVES Wooden Canoes

Out here on the wet coast I discovered to my dismay that the cold eastern winters were a canoe storer's friend and the damp moist air during our rainy season was the biggest enemy, If location , location, location is the moniker for real estate sales; then ventilation , ventilation, ventilation is the boat's equivalent. peter