Alternatives to replacing broken ribs?

bredlo

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Is there such a thing, perhaps a patch or something?

One downside of replacing entire ribs seems, to me, to be that the replacement will always be very noticable - that it's almost impossible to get a perfect color match. Obviously, the upside is a stronger, more sea-worthy craft.

Are there situations where one may opt not to fix a damaged rib at all? Perhaps if it's a small crack, could one simply think of it as "character" and paddle on, without a second thought? Or does even a single broken rib jeapordize waterproofness, lateral strength, and straight line tracking?

Not thinking about cutting corners, just wondering. ;)

I sistered the worst of them & 'Saved' my original canvas. It was a ton of work and looking back I would have been better off pulling the canvas & bending some new ones.

The (3) sistered ribs are functional [it still 'functioned' before the repair too] but they are ugly. The canoe already has a lot of 'beauty marks' and the new ribs would have added to the history.

Like Gil says Its your soap and your ....ahem and you can wash it fast as you want.
Rib replacement is fairly easy getting a new rib to match the old is a little tricky but with the right stain you would be surprized on how close you can match up the new with the old.

Back