Allagash trip this summer

ticonderoga

"Just one more"
This summer(probably July) I want to take a canoe/camping trip with my son before he leaves for college in the fall. We are looking at the Allagash in Maine for a 5 to 6 day trip. After looking at the maps/guides in seems to make sense to put in at Umsaskis Lake below the Chase rapids. We have camped and canoed alot before but not at the same time and for so long in such a "remote" area. Most of our experience has been on lakes and slow moving (no rapids) rivers. We will be using our 17' 1941 OT and our regular camping gear. Are we taking on to much for a first extended trip, will our w/c be ok on the rapids we will encounter, are there alot of portages to carry our regular ( read heavy ) camping gear? I have alot of enthusiasm and questions. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

My son and I did a piece of the gash last summer in one of our W/C canoes. We put in at Lobster Stream on the Penobscot and carried in the Mud Pond. We took our time and even had a few no paddle days and were out in 11 days as I recall.The trip you are proposing is the end of the ride as it were and could be done in three days and even in a couple days if you really humped. Where would you take out?
If you want to do this in 5 to 6 days, think about starting from Telos or at least Eagle and add some lakes to the trip. You'll get some nice views of Katahdin.
It's worth taking a look at the old locomotives on the Eagle Lake Tramway Carry on your way through.

The trip you are proposing has only one very short carry around Allagash Falls. You'll also need to step out for a few minutes at Long Lake Dam....don't shoot that loaded (or at all) unless you know what you are doing....spikes will do a number on your boat.
You can do the trip from the falls to Michaud Farm (one possible pullout) in hours and you can get to Allagash from the there early in the afternoon....in time for cheeseburgers and fries at the diner.

You can opt not to paddle the Chase Rapids. The rangers will take you and your gear down the river for a small fee. The river is controlled release at the rapids so you can paddle it without too much concern. If you are worried, have the rangers take your gear through for you and go through empty. Unless you have a keel on your boat, there is really nothing to worry about except possibly a few cracked ribs and some scuffing on your canvas.
Most folks will tell you to get the trip in before July since things can get a bit bony...you'll scrape below the falls in quite a few spots if you can't read the channel.
Anyway, it's a great trip...do a bit more planning.

Here are a couple sites you'll need:
http://www.northmainewoods.org/index.asp
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/me/nwis/uv/?site_no=01011000&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060

This summer(probably July) I want to take a canoe/camping trip with my son before he leaves for college in the fall. We are looking at the Allagash in Maine for a 5 to 6 day trip. After looking at the maps/guides in seems to make sense to put in at Umsaskis Lake below the Chase rapids. We have camped and canoed alot before but not at the same time and for so long in such a "remote" area. Most of our experience has been on lakes and slow moving (no rapids) rivers. We will be using our 17' 1941 OT and our regular camping gear. Are we taking on to much for a first extended trip, will our w/c be ok on the rapids we will encounter, are there alot of portages to carry our regular ( read heavy ) camping gear? I have alot of enthusiasm and questions. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Lots of options here. We have done the Umsaskis entry several times. It is a relaxed 3 night trip from there. Put-in mid day. Camp at Long Lake Dam. Then Round Pond and finally at Allagash Falls or one of the sites downstream of the Falls. Like MGC stated, only one portage at the Falls. There are outfitters that will meet you at the put-in and shuttle your vehicle to Allagash for you.

Have Fun. In my experience, once College starts, finding the time to do trips like this with your son gets harder and harder.

Matt

With my experience ther might not be too much water that time of the year. The sooner the better. I have done the trip twice, late May and late June. May was great but June was terrible with very little water in the river. Who knows what mother nature will bring but here in the Northeast we have been very limited on snowfall so far ,meaning not much water in the river. Also, lets talk about the bugs. I spend a lot of time in the outdoors and have even been to Alaska. The worse insects I have ever incountered was the trip in June. Skit-toes, blackflies, no seee ums and flying ants all at once. My father and I paddles over 30 miles thae last day of the trip to get away from them. Cigars, head nets and deet were no match. Bring a fish rod, plenty of great tasting Brookies along the way!

Allagash Wilderness Waterway info

Paddling the Allagash from Umsaskis Lake to Allagash Village is a great section to paddle in your `41 OT canoe. I think it's wise to avoid Chase rapids if you a have not paddled whitewater in your canoe.
As previous post mention you can do the trip in 3 days but why? There is so much to explore in that stretch that taking 5 or 6 days to do the trip will allow you time to really get to know the Allagash.
Do not run Long Lake Dam, the old spikes can do sereious damage. The only other portage is at Allagash Falls. Other points of interest that are worth taking extra time to check out; Fire Tower at Round Pond, old timber harvesting equipment at Cunliff Depot, and I'd recommend spending extra time at Allagash Falls.
Water levels do vary, but we run it throughout the summer and we very rarely have to worry about low water in July. MGS posted a link to the USGS realtime water levels and you want to have at least 500 cfs to float your boat. Water levels below that will require a lot more caution for classic canoe such as yours.
The best maps for the Allagash can be obtained from the folks at Northern Forest Canoe Trail (map 13) and you'll want to Google the North Maine Woods for road and camping fee information. Norman L`Italian of Fort Kent provides reliable, dependable, and honest shuttle service.
I do not beleive you are taking on too much for a first extended trip. Just don't try to be too aggressive. But, if you continue to have concerns I would suggest considering a guided trip with a registered Maine Guide. Check out the Maine Wilderness Guides Organization for a listing of guides.
I would be happy to answer any additional questions.
David Butler
Master Recreational Guide
Maine Path & Paddle Guides
877-632-2663

Plenty to think about

Thanks for all the comments and advise. It is a trip I've been wanting to make for some time now. I think I need to do a bit more research on the details. Any other comments will be appreciated concerning the many details that I've yet to figure out! Thanks

Water levels

At the risk of being overly cautious, from my experience, I would opt out at 500fps (in my W/C).
That's generally considered low and suitable only for the rental canoes that you'll see bashing their way down the river or the Royalflex OT Trippers that you will see motoring up the river. I would not put my canvas in there at that level. You'll quickly understand why there are "Technicolor Rocks".
If you don't see 600 plus fps you'll be leaving shellac or paint all over the place, especially if you don't know the reads through some of the shallows.
I'd even opt for more since the river is really pretty tame with respect to technical rapids, as long as there is water. More water makes things move a bit better, makes mistakes harder to make and the whole process a lot more fun. Paddling is good, dragging stinks!
My humble opinion......I've only been through four times though so I am far from expert....I just know that I hate leaving shellac behind.

In a basher canoe (rotomold, royalflex, glass, whatever) 500 fps is plenty.

@ 600fps we paddle on the lakes above Churchill Dam. If you don't want to do Chase, put in @ Bissonette Bridge, that gets you a nice paddle down to the lake.

If you want to have some fun. Go to wilkpedia and search: Allagash abductions. Read it to your fellow campers by the light of the campfire. Best done by Eagle lake. Sleep tight.........Mike.....

Dave Butler has guided many more Allagash trips than I have taken. I have done some eight or ten. In July your worst foes will be minges and skeeters. This year is kinda dry so far..Who knows what July will bring. Arm yourselves against bugs.. do the very short carry at Long Lake Dam..the old logging spikes are a real hazard.

The USGS link is really handy. As reservations are not required its easy to alter plans.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/me/nwis/rt

1500 is just beautiful. Under 600 bony. At 3500 you will have trouble stopping.

Five to six days seems a long time for 62 miles of river running..but you can always backtrack up Churchill Lake and it is a very good idea to poke around at the campsites on the river. There is a bunch of history. Don't rush by it.

OR at Long Lake Dam 'Line' the canoes over the dam on the left side. It's a lot quicker. We line them fore and aft but have someone on the rocks just below he dam who jumps in and paddles into the cove on the left. We did the carry the first year and it's not fun.

Back