Advice Needed on Selling a Wooden Canoe

David Winer

Recently, I surrendered my rack at the Washington Canoe Club and no longer have a suitable place to keep my 1939 Lakefield all-wood canoe. Reluctantly, I seek a good home for it. I’m in no hurry to sell. Question for the Forum: What is the best approach to "market" this canoe?

I see several alternatives, the first of which is to take it to the Assembly next week and offer it at the usual display of boats for sale. (This seems to limit the pool of prospective buyers to those who attend the Assembly.) A second method is to advertise it in the WCHA Wooden Canoe Journal. Finally, it might get more exposure to potential buyers here on the WCHA website under the Classified Ads.

The canoe is a gem, fully restored by Mike Hanna years ago and kept in good storage since then. I hope to find a buyer who will use it and cherish it as much as I have.

Last edited:
A while back, I wrote this guide for selling a wood/canvas canoe on eBay. EBay hides these guides pretty well... took me a while to find the thing I wrote!

http://reviews.ebay.com/Canoes-Antique-Wood-Canvas-Selling-Guide_W0QQugidZ10000000007165036

Common mistakes in canoe-ads include leaving off basic information, such as the length of the canoe. Some sellers take six pictures of the bottom of the canoe and none of the deck. I think WCHAers know what we want to see in an ad, and do a good job getting information across.

Your plan to offer the canoe at Assembly and then in other WCHA arenas is a good one. I sold a canoe through an internet antique boat dealer, and the canoe sold quickly for a good price, but I hadn't realized there was a 10% fee... so, be careful if you have to go to that sort of thing.

Thank you for the advice and reference to the eBay article about selling a canoe. I'm a long time member of WCHA and have acquired canoes all sorts of ways, but am "de-accessioning" to some extent now. Must learn how to go about it.

"Please tell me about your Morris," she implored, batting her eyelashes.--Great line. I have a Morris and am always happy to talk about it. :)

Back