Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Adorning Paddle Shafts with Wire Wrap

Discussion in 'Paddles and Paddle Making' started by solo_sam, Dec 25, 2019.

1. solo_sam

solo_sam Curious about Wooden Canoes

I'm refinishing a pair of nice cherry otter-tail paddles and would like to know if anyone has done any decorating with silver or copper wire wraps. I saw a pic of one years ago that left an impression, but can't seem to find any examples now.

2. Dave Osborn

Dave Osborn LIFE MEMBER

The only wires I’ve seen on paddles are from bad repairs.

3. JClearwater

JClearwater Wooden Canoe Maniac

Solo-sam,
    I'm with Dave on this one.
    It is very common to decorate guns with wire inlay but that type of wire is flat in cross section and it is cut into, 'inlaid' into the wood. It is not round in section like electric wire, it's flat and set in edge wise. I suppose it could be used on a paddle in like manner to a gunstock but wrapping round wire around the shaft I think would not work out well in the long run. Sliding your hands along the shaft and hitting the wrap every time would get old quick. You can google photos of wire inlay on gunstocks to give you ideas. It does look rather striking.

Good luck and welcome to the WCHA.

Jim C.

4. Dave Wermuth

Dave Wermuth Who hid my paddle?

I've seen spruce root wraps but that's not the same.

5. pklonowski

pklonowski Unrepentant Canoeist

I've seen wraps made of something like binding twine and with seat caning, but never understood the purpose of it. It could be purely decorative, but it's a look that I don't care for. Just my opinion, and worth every penny you paid for it.

Dave Wermuth likes this.
  6. Rob Stevens

Rob Stevens Wooden Canoes are in the Blood

A paddling friend of mine has the bad habit of dragging his paddle along the gunnel and prying, which can wear through a paddle shaft pretty quickly -not to mention scuff the waterproofing off the outwale. He has wrapped the throat of his paddles with cord, leather, leather thong. Of course, this makes the shaft thicker where the hand lower hand grips it. Wire would add extra protection to the paddle by be worse on the wale. And heavier.

7. pklonowski

pklonowski Unrepentant Canoeist

That does sound like a bad habit, causing yourself some extra work...